AC Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Repair

Anyone here familiar with restoring 80s air conditioning systems?

My AC didn't work when I bought the car but when we did the engine swap there was still pressure in the system. Not much, just enough to make a noise when taking everything apart.

I am assuming that there is a leak somewhere that caused the pressure to get low in the first place, and a new compressor & a R12 to R13a conversion kit are probably good ideas. But what other common failure points are there that should be replaced, and how hard is it for someone with no AC experience to get it all running again?

If you get a new compressor and do a conversion to r134a, be sure to change your orifice tube or expansion valve (your car will have one or the other) and the receiver-dryer. If you don't, your hard work will be for nothing. I would recommend that if you install your own parts, you either rent the proper equipment to do the job or take it to a shop. To do it right, you're gonna need to flush the system, vacuum it down with a vacuum pump (which will also let you know if there are leaks), and there may be something else I'm missing. Also, a generic seal kit that'll fit umpteen different cars will be available at your local auto parts stores. If you're gonna go to the trouble, replace all the seals, gaskets, etc. Other than that, you can either replace every single part of the system or just do a leak test.

AC work can be a PITA. However, on my 1993 Roadmaster, I already knew that the compressor had been replaced a year before I bought the car but it wouldn't engage. I just added r134a fittings (six bucks at autozone) and gassed it up. I didn't vacuum the system, in fact, you could say I did it all 100% wrong - but it has worked great for 6 years. I have to add a can of refrigerant every summer, sometimes two, but that's no biggie. If you have Dollar General stores in your area, they may sell it there for cheaper than the parts stores. They have it here for a few bucks less.

Like anything else in life, you'll likely get what you pay for. Avoid remanufactured compressors like the plague, and check with your local parts stores for discount deals where you actually get your parts cheaper if you buy them all at once. Again, Autozone has done that deal for at least the last two summers.

Comment

Working...
    X