Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth fury 1970 Hearse

Hi everybody,

I found this board with the website of the Denver Hearse Association ( www.hearseclub.com ) and i asked Zachary to register me here.
    So, A friend and I are european hearse owner's based in France and Belgium.
    I think that I could be great to talk with other hearse owners because there is no hearse club here in France or Belgium. So we will create our soon.
    I think it will be great to make a kind of twinning between europe and USA concerning the great US's hearses.

So, let's start with my first purchase : a 1970 plymouth fury hearse that I bought in 2002.

Ther is a small website here : http://www.membres.lycos.fr/furyhearse/
    it was made by my friend who discovered it and sold me it because he couldn't keep it.

This hearse was used in Belgium for burials and was bought by a tavern owner's in the 90's and converted in a simple SW.
    My friend purchase it and started to rebuild it, then I purchase it again and continued the restauration.

This was the photograph that was given to me when I bought it

The following photographs shows it state when my friend starts to restaure it :

The motor before and after :

The most of the work must be done on the body : the rear bumper was "dead" and the under of the car isn't in very goog shape but not dead. The is small holes in the body.
    up to now, the car is awaiting for a complete body rebuild but i can't do it because it's very expensive. so i'm waiting to have a full time job ! the images are quite big so i just put the link :
    http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7725/dscf0075ro7.jpg
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/126/dscf0073oi4.jpg

Here there is the Plymouth in front of an european ( european in the scale because it's a Toyota Yaris) car :
    http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1...2002063qx5.jpg

I bought with it an american casket and all the lamps that goes on the car.

The Plymouth is now parked here :

It's on the right under the cover.
    Yes ! i will show you the dodge on the left !
    No ! the newport has been sold because we can't repair it.
    I must tell you how lucky you are to have so great cars !

There is many many more cars to come, we have and know around 8 hearses here. Some will be destroyed because in europe hearse are quite scaring for the other people ( they don't want to own a hearse ) or used for something else : one hearse will become an advert. I will make a diffrent topic for each.

As you can see, ther is no major transformation on this plymouth :this is a common SW that has been converted into a hearse.
    They removed the back bench, put 2 lamps next to the rear windows and curtains fixed to the inside roof.
    They also putt chromium-plated metal bars in the top of the car, on the doors and the rear side, to get a better view and to be hold when people walk next to the car during a burial.

such SW's are often used as hearse in Belgium ( in france the hearse are awful !! if you want i can show you some ) and converted like this ( you will se another exemple with the dodge polara ). There is also cadillac but they are specialized in hearse, and i think that you can recognize the transformation.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">hearse are quite scaring for the other people </div>

Just tell them no one ever died in a hearse.

RevJack

Comment

yes &#33;
      If I got time I will show you some of the things people says &#33;
      "corpse van" someone said me one day &#33;

Comment

Great looking car. I had a 70 Plymouth Fury sedan when I was in hgh school. Wish I still had that car today. Mine was a 8yl 318. It&#39;s unusual to find these with any thing smaller than that for a motor so yours having the leaning tower of power (Slant 6) really makes it that much more uncommon. Tho they are very good motors, they are severely underpowered for use in these cars.

Comment

<div>
          (Stretch @ Mar. 09 2007,11:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great looking car. I had a 70 Plymouth Fury sedan when I was in hgh school. Wish I still had that car today. Mine was a 8yl 318. It&#39;s unusual to find these with any thing smaller than that for a motor so yours having the leaning tower of power (Slant 6) really makes it that much more uncommon. Tho they are very good motors, they are severely underpowered for use in these cars.</div>
          Ok.
          I see that in the usa too, people have switch their slant-6 into v8 &#33;
          Hum, yes slnt-6 cars are quite rare now ( think about a slant-6 charger &#33; ) but concerning the power, its a 125 Hp i think, not enough to get racing, lol, but enough to go to funerals &#33;

Comment

<div>
            (Xavier @ Mar. 09 2007,14:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ok.
            I see that in the usa too, people have switch their slant-6 into v8 &#33;
            Hum, yes slnt-6 cars are quite rare now ( think about a slant-6 charger &#33; ) but concerning the power, its a 125 Hp i think, not enough to get racing, lol, but enough to go to funerals &#33;  </div>
            Yes most do switch out the slant 6 in favor of the V-8 but most of our big barges like that did not come from the factory with the slant. I&#39;ve seen one or two other slant 6 Furys over the last few years.

As for the slant 6 Charger... I&#39;ve seen one Aussie version of that and I have to say I liked it very much&#33;

I&#39;ve owned one car with the slant 6 in it and the only good thing I can say about it was that I couldn&#39;t kill it. The body died way before the motor did and that motor is now powering my friend&#39;s 73 Plymouth Duster&#33;

Comment

Oh &#33; I forgot &#33;
              If someone can find some body parts in good shape : I need a spoiler, 2 front fenders ) mine are totally rusted.
              I think that this is easy to find in USA than in France &#33;
              If someone can have some, we will discusse on how send me them ( because shipping is very expensive ) i use to choose "eco shipping" but it takes 2 months.

Comment

hello xavier,

greetings from another european hearse driver

that plymouth really looks great. i hope you will provide some more pictures of the car with the cross and the roof-lamp mounted.

Comment

<div>
                  (Bloodsmurf @ Mar. 10 2007,04:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">hello xavier,

greetings from another european hearse driver

that plymouth really looks great. i hope you will provide some more pictures of the car with the cross and the roof-lamp mounted.</div>
                  Eh &#33;

What&#39;s your hearse ? I think i have the same in my pictures ( maybe we will buy it too )
                  it&#39;s a cadillac fleetwood " gothic " and you ? We have the table that brings the casket outside the hearse too &#33;

Comment

<div>
                    (Xavier @ Mar. 10 2007,12:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Eh &#33;

What&#39;s your hearse ? I think i have the same in my pictures ( maybe we will buy it too )
                    it&#39;s a cadillac fleetwood " gothic " and you ? We have the table that brings the casket outside the hearse too &#33; </div>
                    Mine is a 1971 Cadillac Superior.

Comment

Originally posted by Stretch View Post
                      Great looking car. I had a 70 Plymouth Fury sedan when I was in hgh school. Wish I still had that car today. Mine was a 8yl 318. It's unusual to find these with any thing smaller than that for a motor so yours having the leaning tower of power (Slant 6) really makes it that much more uncommon. Tho they are very good motors, they are severely underpowered for use in these cars.
                      I have 2 65' Fury sedans for sale...If your intrested

Comment

Love the lamp with the cross in it! If you ever find another one or are interested in selling that one let me know.

Comment

I saw a T&C for sale on Ebay, and it has been a long time since I saw it, but it seemed like some of the rollers were on the back of the seats so that you could fold it into a wagon again and put the kids in for the trip to the grandparents. I don't know if I would haul away Mama Cass in it, but it was cute.

-denise

Comment

i'm back ! thanks everybody for your ansewers !
                            Sasquatch :

Love the lamp with the cross in it! If you ever find another one or are interested in selling that one let me know.
                            Sorry i only got 1 with the hearse. It goes in the middle of the car on the roof.

Please visit my new forum : I just created with a friend the first official European hearse club
                            We called it : "The corpse drivers"
                            Feel free to register and post some of your pictures, we'll be very happy to have some US contacts.
                            http://thecorpsedrivers.coolbb.net/

Comment

Working...
                            X