Second SceniCruiser this year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second SceniCruiser this year!

This past week my brother's second SceniCruiser rolled in from Ohio.
    This is #997 out of 1000, and he was told it is one of only about twenty that still is a seated bus. The first one is gonna give up it's engine to get this one rollin' again.
    Attached Files

That is awesome. Is he going to restore it as a passenger bus? I always hate when they have been completely gutted of the interiors, it's nice to have some of the original seats in it even if it's turned into a camper. I always search Ebay to look at the Flxible Clippers and the GMC Silversides, I'm not sure what I would do with one if I bid on it but I feel like I need to own one someday.

Comment

He bought his first one #372, in January of this year. After it left Greyhound service it was a church bus in Texas, and still seated. It came to Oklahoma, and someone gutted it.......My brother always wanted one after touring with his band and seeing them. The first one turned up on Craigslist right in Tulsa for such a deal he couldn't pass it up, even in the shape it was. #372 still runs.....
      He totally became obsessed with the SceniCruisers......getting on websites and message boards, buying books, and even contacting the authors, most of which were old Greyhound drivers, and very personable. Some one tipped him off to this one (997) in Ohio, and he began calling and visiting with the guy, which, by the way, still has an original, running Silversides bus from the 40's.
      The deal was made, and we had to wait all summer to get to the top of the transporters list. The semi driver told us he hauled two prior to this one, and has two more to move yet.
      He has a directory of every remaining SceniCruiser, what route it ran for Greyhound, and every one of their private owners. Those guys are really hardcore.
      This one, #997 will remain a seated coach, due to it surviving in that condition so long, and it's high production number, third to last one ever built.

Comment

Here's a few shots of the inside...

I have more on Flickr (with both buses and a few video clips) at:

These were some of my first uploads when I signed up for Flickr. Clay's brother Aaron bought this, and I wasn't about to turn down the opportunity to document the trip home.

Attached Files

Comment

Here in Northern Ohio there was a Scenicruiser bus in an old junkyard near me until a few years ago. Used to see it all the time from Rt. 23 (between Marion & Upper Sandusky Ohio) and then one day someone had the engine cover up & was working on it. Soon after it was gone. Turns out a co-worker of mine... his dad owns that yard, he said one day a guy showed up & was thrilled over the bus & HAD to have it! He got it running & drove it out of there. I'll have to ask if they kept the guy's name who bought it & pass the info along to you. Also remember that the rear window was broken out of it...

Comment

Holy Hell, what do you do with one of those?
            I'm not real familiar, other than the motor and tranny is it all just open storage space on the lower level?

Comment

Two luggage bays under the seating deck on bolth sides.......
              I hear there's another one in Tulsa that a guy transports his bikes to the Daytona Bike Week with......everything fits right in the luggage bays.
              The hinges are just heavy rubber stripping. Thats the reason for the cargo straps on the newest one, didn't want them opening or falling off on the trip to OK.

Comment

I know most of us would get a woodie finding a hearse or ambulance in a salvage yard.......Check out this guy's video library.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

You know I know where one of those are here close to Joplin, if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
                    This past week my brother's second SceniCruiser rolled in from Ohio.
                    This is #997 out of 1000, and he was told it is one of only about twenty that still is a seated bus. The first one is gonna give up it's engine to get this one rollin' again.

i'm just wondering how much they sell for?

Comment

He scored the first one off Tulsa's Craigs List, it was a "get it outta' here ASAP" deal, think he gave $900 for it, the seated one put him back about 3K, not countin' the transport!

Comment

Working...
                      X