My New Coffin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Coffin!

Just picked it up this weekend. The guy said it was in the back of an "old 50's bubble type hurst" up in Globe, Arizona. His friend who bought the car gave him the casket. It sat in his house for a while before the girlfriend said to get rid of it.
    All hand carved with a screw down top. The lid weights about 75 lbs alone (I know cause it fell on me). It has some signature burned into the lid at the bottom but I can't make it out. I'd say it was Italian made. Any clues?
    By the way...it has a BAD smell inside it. I think from the rotting wood. But my wifes cat's are going batty on it! What to do with this one...too nice to turn into a cooler...no hinges ether. Hmmm.... Oh...and pardon the messy entry way...

What you may have is a european coffin, that was used to transport a body to this country. The body it may have once contained was transfered to a casket. I had one similar once. It had been used for a lot of photo shoots, and by the time I got it, the linning was long gone.

Comment

I was "apeein" when he told me he only wanted a hundred bucks for it!

Comment

Wow man, amazing score!

Comment

Try scrubbing it out with Murphy's Oil Soap, and then hand drying as much as possible. Give it time to air-dry, overnight should do it, and then lay down a layer of cedar shavings in the bottom. The litter they make for rodent cages works great. put your lid back on, but put a couple of shims under it so that it's not sealed - you want air flow. Leave it like that for a couple of weeks, and see if that kills the odor.

This method worked for an old trunk that a friend got at a flea market.

Comment

Are you kidding!?! I love the smell... Every time someone ask's me..."Doesn't it smell?" Now I have one I can let them smell!

Comment

Okay then... My bad!

It really is a beautiful coffin!

Comment

Hay OTTO BARON,
                are you sure it is european. A friend of mine has a Amish made one that looks very similer. Or so she says it was Amish made. I'll try to post some pics of it. I also saw some that look similer to that in a documentry of the influenza outbreak of like 1918 or something like that.

Comment

Hey is a picture of my friend's coffin. She got it off craigslist. She was told it was used as a display at a funeral home.

Comment

You made a real find. That coffin is amazing! Want to sell it?

Comment

Working...
                    X