Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever wanted to do a serpentine belt setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wanted to do a serpentine belt setup?

I thought about it, but I damned sure am not spending TWO THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS to do so.

Get the Best Performance with March Performance Style Track System Cadillac 472-500 c.i. V-8 1968-1976 21525 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

What is the advantege of doing it anyway? Other then for show do you get anything out of it?

Comment

That was 1 perk of putting a 454 in My 64, it already had it and I like it. It's not a pretty as the aftermarkets, but the price is right. A lot easier just to pop the belt off for maintenance than adjusting a bunch of belts. Works for Me!

Comment

I would rather convert a serpentine belt to a multiple belt system. If my a/c were to lock up, I would prefer my alternator and water pump to continue to run. But that's just me.

Comment

I had a compressor lock up, the clutch still free wheeled as long as it wasn't turned on. Now if the clutch would haved have seized up at the same time that would be another story. Most bad clutches I saw slipped. Not saying it couldn't happen though.

Comment

I HATE a serpentine belt! When I went to Ga to pick up my windshield on the way bad my a/c locked up and snapped the belt. If I would have had a serpentine belt I would have been screw. Another incident my daily driver wouldn't start after work one night, I work 2nd and also 35 minutes away from where I live. Long story short a/c locked up and serpentine belt would not turn. I ended up buying an a/c delete pulley, so the belt would work.
            To add a little more info my a/c in my hearse was working on the way down to Ga and some of the way back, when it locked up. The a/c was not working or turned on in my daily driver when it locked up.

Comment

they sure are much faster to change. i need to swap out all the belts on miss abigail.

Comment

Looks like it depends on One's luck. I know many high mileage hot shot trucks running in the oil field here, and this is the 1st I've heard of this. Same set up as My 2000 Dually. Would I pay $2000 to have it, no, but since it all was already there, yes.

Comment

2K is a crazy amount for that. You can fab a similiar setup believe it or not for less than 100 bones from scrapyard parts "Some not even GM! Lol". Brackets are the hardest parts to obtain as you would be modifying existing plates from other setups. Aluminum polishes up quite well if you have the patience and time. I have made several different serpentine conversions using solely scrapyard pieces...and through trial and error...have had quite a bit of success as a few of these setups are still on the road 15+ years from install. I'm thinking of making one up for a 365 Caddy for shits and giggles as well.

Comment

Wow. It sure does look nice. Kind of pricey though. Granted the kit does include new alternator, ac compressor, water pump and power steering pump, but still... Ouch!

Comment

Does not seem that worth it to me. It really does not take take much time to change the belts on the old system . Hay if you like it tho why not.

Comment

Working...
                      X