Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To torque converter or not to torque converter, that is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To torque converter or not to torque converter, that is the question.

So the car is pretty well apart right now (looks mighty lonely under there) and the transmission is sitting on the bench at Billy's house. A friend of mine suggested a new converter, but I wasn't really sure if it'd be worth it or not. What do you guys think? New converter or not?

It's always recommended to swap out the old convertor with a new one during a rebuild, but if it wasn't slipping or the fluid wasn't dark & scorched it's your call. I'd change it out if a new one wasn't pricey while you have it out

Comment

It was slipping - not sure if its the converter or the transmission though.

Comment

Think this is a suitable replacement?

Free Shipping - TCI Saturday Night Special Torque Converters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Torque Converters at Summit Racing.

Comment

The converter will hold a couple of quarts that are very tough to drain out. Its a great place for metal shavings to hide. Do it once, do it right. Most 10" converters are $200-$250

I like a stall speed a little higher than that TCI you listed.

Big big heavy cars (did I mention big?) respond well to 2500-3000 rpm stalls.

The other nice thing about a higher stall is that you wont really notice it untill you nail the throttle.
          Normal driving still feels normal. Almost Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde

Comment

After more research I do agree with you, I'm looking for a 2400 stall now. Checking with B&M to see what theirs look like for a Caddy (they only list chevy).

Comment

this is like what I have in my Dodge Spirit http://www.jegs.com/i/Hughes-Perform...rentProductId= people are right about that a Hearse weighs in at 6000+ lbs you do need a higher stall speed to get it moving than a stocker.

Comment

I ended up buying a TCI Streetfighter with a 2400 stall. About to go put that bitch in right now.

Comment

THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOESN'T FIT!!!

I ordered part 241502 from Summit (which is what the guy at TCI recommended) and the diameter of the bolt holes is different than the ones on the flex plate. I'm about to out and measure my old one right now.

Comment

Well that settles that. The one I bought is a 10.75 bolt circle and my car needs an 11.5, which I don't think TCI makes. Looks like ANOTHER trip to summit is in my future.

Comment

You'll really appreciate a higher end stall...it'll make that witch come alive, might take a lil while to get used to one but you'll enjoy it I'm sure. TCI is pretty good about obtaining oddball items, I'd be surprised if they couldn't match you one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
                        Well that settles that. The one I bought is a 10.75 bolt circle and my car needs an 11.5, which I don't think TCI makes. Looks like ANOTHER trip to summit is in my future.
                        A machine shop can drill it out no issue!

Comment

Working...
                        X