I'm buying an f'n Yaris.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm buying an f'n Yaris.

After we buy our next house, I'm buying a Toyota Yaris.

Why?

Because I just did the math on driving my Cobra to work every day, and no damned wonder I'm always broke.

I do ride the Harley as much as I possibly can, but it does rain here and my laptop getting wet is not really an option. It is 48 miles door to door from home to work, and I do that 4 days a week - so lets say that is 400 miles a week and assume I don't go anywhere else. My car gets 16-20 mpg (gotta love 4.30 gears), so on any given week I go through 25 gallons of gas - now multiply that by 52 weeks and we get 1300 gallons of gas a year (and this isn't going anywhere else but work, and pretty much not with the air on), at $3 a gallon, that is AT LEAST $3900 a year in gas. Plus it's expensive to insure.

Lets say now that the Yaris gets 40 mpg (I do 98% of my driving on the interstate), it would use 525 gallons of gas in that same year, and it doesn't use premium, so based on current gas prices ($2.79 gallon), I would spend $1464.75 a year on gas. And insurance is waaaaaay cheaper.

The reality is that I don't just drive to work, and I fill up twice a week as it is now, and at $35-40 a pop it hurts. I don't forsee gas prices coming back to anything reasonable any time soon, so just on current spending I spend in excess of $4500 in gas on that one car. If I even crank Morticia up, that's 3 bucks just in what is in the fuel lines.

Add upkeep (which on a v8 sports car that has been modded pretty badly is absurd) and it just gets ridiculous. Just on gas savings alone I'd save more than the price of another car plus several thousand dollars.

We also refuse to move any closer to Atlanta (the prices of houses in and around Atlanta are just retarded - for instance our house is going to be going on the market in a few months at ~150k, the same basic house [smaller actually] on less than a 1/4 the land is 365k!!!! (see it)) so getting something with hella gas mileage is paramount.

It's sad that it has gotten this way. Gas has gone up over 300% in the last 10 years.

I would like to send a letter of thanks to OPEC, because Sunoco is drilling the USA now, and I've just received $1300 in royalties, which is just about gonna buy my gas to Denver, if my appendix doesn't rupture or I don't contract pneumonia or something the day before the trip.

I actually wish I would have bought the smallest Saturn or whatever instead of buying what is really nothing more than an econobox and paying three times as much for it. And to top it all off, I don't even drive it. Tony drives it in lieu of having the blower motor and regularly scheduled timing belt replacement on his Volvo. Well, OK, maybe driving the Volvo isn't that great an idea, because if any more large plastic pieces fall off of the fucking thing, it might not be driveable anymore, and I ran out of fender washers a long time ago.

-d

Comment

I was looking at those toyota prius hybrids. I have a co-worker that is actually charting her mileage and can prove 45MPG city and something like 60-80 highway. Plus, you can "hack" your prius.

Comment

I love the mileage of the prius, I just can't stand how 'faggy' they look. If they made a hybrid that looked like a car that a straight man would drive - I think they'd sell more.

To me prius says 'I give a shit about the environment' and a Yaris says 'I'm a broke ass mofo' as Zach would say. That and of course the Prius is 22k versus 12k for the Yaris.

Although I'm intrigued, what kind of 'hacks'? Can I put BSD on it?

Comment

Working...
        X