Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That time when Jegs tried to scam me

Today I had the strangest experience.

I purchased a fuel pressure gauge from Jegs using their eBay store and paid for it using PayPal.

Sometime later in the day I get a phone call from a number I don't recognize.

It was Jegs saying that my PayPal payment hadn't gone through, and that they needed me to remake the payment by doing a wire transfer at my bank.

Immediately I thought this has to be a scam. Few people know my phone # and even fewer know the email I use for eBay transactions. I tell them to email me more information (without saying what my email address is). Sure as day I get an email instantly from Jegs, and it goes to my email address I don't normally give people so few people know about it.

So I googled the number that called me, and it was actually from Jegs. I couldn't believe it so I called their main phone # off of their actual catalog & website. They repeat the same story!!! So while I am on the phone with them I check my PayPal account, see that the payment went through successfully, and try to explain "look you already have my money I shouldn't have to pay you twice!"

Well. I could. Not. Get. Through. to the brain of whoever they have answering the phones at Jegs that what they are saying doesn't compute.

They finally told me that without wire transferring them the money they'll refuse to fullfill my order & aren't going to ship me my part. Even though I had already paid them!

So I call PayPal and tell them everything. The guy at PayPal suddenly got very quiet & very serious as soon as he heard the phrase "bank wire transfer." He said that PayPal's computers show the transaction as being successfully completed, and that Jegs has my money. He opened up a case for "uncooperative seller/fraud" and eventually I will get my money back but he did not know when. Thankfully this is for a fuel pressure gauge and not a crate motor.

Way I see it one of three different scenarios just happened. Either:
    -Jegs is so mismanaged these days they honestly don't know who has paid or not and this is some kind of mixup
    -They are intentionally trying to dupe people into paying twice to scam people
    -They are intentionally doing this to avoid paying PayPal fees and/or eBay dispute oversight by shifting the payment method to bank transfers.

Isn't this some kind of bank fraud? This doesn't pass the sniff test. Jegs is based in Ohio. So I contacted the OH Atty General. We shall see what kind of response that gets.

Sounds pretty damn shady to me.

Comment

For some reason the only time I think about Jegs is when I can't find something at Summit.

Comment

It might just be an honest mistake. Involving Paypal was the right thing to do.

Comment

They finally told me that without wire transferring them the money they'll refuse to fullfill my order & aren't going to ship me my part. Even though I had already paid them!

Comment

Get pay pal involved, before you cant make a case.

Comment

Originally posted by cristinaharn View Post
              You too then? Interesting. I wonder if Paypal has caught on yet that they're trying to evade their ebay & paypal fees by forcing people to use other means of paying.

FIgure that's a big TOS violation.

Comment

Working...
              X