Question for one of you comuter savvy guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for one of you comuter savvy guys

So theres this new girl at work, she was whining about not having a computer on her desk, We found an old one in the back, but cannot print off it cause we cant figure out what the network password is, me and everyone has tried what its suppose to be and every other password ever used in the history of this company, IS there anyother possible way to get by this asking for network password so she can use the network printer?

Get the ip of the printer, go to add new printer on the computer, select 'add local' and configure it for 'tcp port', when it asks for the ip put it in and point it to port 9100 - this will print (in unix it's considered part of the lpd daemon package - or, 'line print') in raw format directly to the printer if it's on the network.

You may have to add it as a network printer if they have it setup that way, at which case 'add printer' then select 'network printer' and put in the full network path to it (you should be able to browse to it).

Comment

thanx chris, good answer and good explanation, seems easy only 2 things, the first one it doesnt ask me for IP after I select tcp port, it just trys to test print and fails, the second one when I browse It finds no network printers, If its relevant, did I mention this computer is running windows 98?

Comment

Jesus christ! Go to walmart and buy one of those $300 jobs with xp on it!!

Try this (use this with caution). Telnet to the ip address of the printer on port 9100 (go to start, run, type 'command.exe' and hit enter - when the window comes up type 'telnet 9100' and hit enter, replacing the 'ip address' with the actual addy, then type something like 'test print blah blah blah' and hit CTRL C to end it. It should echo something on the printer (that connects it to the port and opens up for raw input).

I have completely forgotten how to do it on a '98 machine, so here:

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X