rit dying velvet curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rit dying velvet curtains

at least i think velvet. is it possible?

That's questionable. The only thing I can say is try it. There are also several different types of velvet and velveteen and panne'. Each is unique and has its own qualities. Panne' stretches. Velveteen is a little "cheaper" looking than velvet, and is a lesser quality, I wouldn't try to dye it. True velvet is has a good quality backing on it. Velvet is a difficult fabric to deal with. You can't iron it unless you have a velvet board and you have to use a special setting and only extremely low heat on the iron. When you dry it, be extremely careful. I'd leave it air dry if possible then run it on just an air cycle or something, no heat. If you are running the dye in the washer with it, make sure it runs freely, that way you don't have any splotchy marks. Put the dye in the washer and let it aggitate a couple minutes to mix it well. Then shut it off. Put the fabric in and let it aggitate again for a few to get the fabric all saturated. Then shut it off again. Let it sit like that for 20 to 30 minutes. Then let it run through the cycles. Then run it through an extra set of rinse cycles when it is finished completely. Then like I said be careful with the drying. What are you doing with the velvet if I may ask? I'm a professional seamstress, plus I've worked at most of the major fabric stores.

Comment

its the original curtains for my 70 s&s victoria

they were blue and are now sun faded something turrrrible so i figure i can dye em black. they are a heavy fabric and feel like velvet but i dont know crap about fabric

Comment

Then it probably is a velvet. But being that it has been in the sun, it will be very "brittle" fabric. Be extremely careful with it. Do everything on delicate cycle whatever you do.

Comment

I don't bother trying to dye anything but soft fabrics. Forget synthetics...the, dye won't soak in, and your sun fading marks will still show.

Why don't you just make new curtains? You can get black velvet at Joann's Fabrics, or any liquor store. If you go with anything but white, you're going to get fading eventually.

I have my coach in the back yard now, so I only have my white curtains on the sides. It keeps things cooler inside.

-denise

Comment

Working...
          X