Laptop problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop problems

My laptop either reboots or just powers itself down when I touch it, several times a day. Could this be static electricity? I have tried putting a humidifier right next to it and it still does it. I've had to reload the OS twice, and I'll warn you about this, if you don't put all of your documents, pics, settings, email, everything in a separate directory and let Windows put them in the default locations, you lose everything if you have to reinstall.

This is a pain in the ass. I've even tried going from different copies of the OS with their keys and XP pro, separate mouse, cable instead of wireless network, and touching an outlet screw to ground myself before I touch the laptop. Since this started recently, I'm thinking static, but what else can you do but humidify?

-denise

Originally posted by Morella View Post
    My laptop either reboots or just powers itself down when I touch it, several times a day. Could this be static electricity? I have tried putting a humidifier right next to it and it still does it. I've had to reload the OS twice, and I'll warn you about this, if you don't put all of your documents, pics, settings, email, everything in a separate directory and let Windows put them in the default locations, you lose everything if you have to reinstall.

This is a pain in the ass. I've even tried going from different copies of the OS with their keys and XP pro, separate mouse, cable instead of wireless network, and touching an outlet screw to ground myself before I touch the laptop. Since this started recently, I'm thinking static, but what else can you do but humidify?

-denise

make sure its not overheating
    them lappers hate heat

Comment

Computers make life so much easier.....

Comment

Make sure there isn't some foreign matter under the power button - when you touch the machine it could me moving the casing and hitting (or bridging) the power button. Go to power options in the control panel, then advanced, and then set everything to 'do nothing' and see if it still does it.

Comment

What kind of laptop? Many laptops have software that changes the fan speed table and keeps them from overheating.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I've spent about 20 hours on this, whereas my doctor says that I am in suitable condition to work 1-3/4 hours per day.

My solution is to hibernate it before I put it down, which seems to work. If I still had a job, I would throw it against the wall and order a Dell.

-denise

Comment

Dells will only bring you more headaches.

Comment

Working...
              X