Domain Renewal Help ( Chris? )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Renewal Help ( Chris? )

I got a letter from Domain Registry of America saying that I must reply by Octobre 22nd to renew admaero.com, but it does not expire until February 2. I registered through directNic, and they show that it does not need to be renewed. Is Domain Registry just trying to rip me off by getting me to register at an inflated price before anyone else? $30 seems very expensive just to renew a domain.

thanks

-denise

Yeah they're full of shit. It could be a form of spam trying to rip you off too, or even worse get your credit card # and/or domain info so they can "phish" it from you and then auction it off to the highest bidder.

Always renew through who you got the domain from in the first place, unless they do something like change their name etc... but then they'll usually tell you. Doing a domain whois lookup can help too.

However you DO want to renew before the expiration date. Then it goes into a kind of limbo and then anyone can buy it. That's how I lost virtualblood.com since I had an exfriend maintain it for me and I just threw him some cash for it. He let it slip too long and poof I had no more site.

Comment

Yeah, whois still showed InterNIC. That was how I knew to go there. I guess they don't renew until the time gets a little closer. I just like to get stuff out of the way and have it done.

Comment

Ditto to what Scary Guy said, they are a rip off trying to steal the domain from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Morella View Post
          Yeah, whois still showed InterNIC. That was how I knew to go there. I guess they don't renew until the time gets a little closer. I just like to get stuff out of the way and have it done.
          Well you can renew any time before then up to like 9 years I think, and they chip off a bit on the price for each year added on generally too.

Comment

Well, fuck, it let me renew it that time. Maybe I'm losing my mind.

Comment

Working...
            X