Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this going to work, or should I film it

...for America's Dumbest Home Videos?

I have an APC 1500 UPS, a nice unit that ran a whole server rack. It originally used two 10 amp-hour batteries, in series, for a 24-volt backup, but one of them has gone tits...which is why nobody at work complained when I threw it in my car and kyped it.

I also have two brand new garden tractor batteries, which are a leeeeetle bigger, I would guess in the 20-30 amp hour range, but of course they don't put that on there because most people don't know what it means anyway, or care. It may even be comparing apples and oranges, if the standard 25-amp discharge rate is not used to rate UPS batteries. Does anyone know?

More importantly, will the 1500 go up in smoke trying to charge these things up if there is a long power hit, or will it just keep charging until they are full? I don't know whether a UPS incorporates a constant current or a constant voltage charger. I was planning on hooking all of the home theatre shit into it, and if the power stays off for a few hours, we'll plug the UPS and some lights into one or more of the vehicles, and we'll be that one house on Maple Street that still has power.

Right now, I'm allowing the hearse to keep itself warm overnight with a cycling space heater, so that the sealer around the bullet-returning glass will set. The invertor could actually run two of them, but whether or not the 270 amp hour batteries in the belly will keep the heater running enough to warm the hearse all night remains to be seen. I suppose it depends on how often it cycles. Isn't electrical shit fun? I may go camping if this works.

-denise

Ummm....I had the camera ready, but, nothing fun happened. It works fine, and I don't know if you can see it, but this little television doesn't even show up on the loadmeter. This thing is a moose. When I unplugged the UPS, it switched right over to the batteries. When I plugged it back in, the battery bitch light came on for a few seconds, but then went back to "all is well" mode, without an interruption in power.

I need to disconnect the warning beeper, maybe, and it could certainly use a more attractive cabinet, but I think I have something here.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X