Got a bit of a dilemna...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a bit of a dilemna...

So I've got the '51 buick as the winter project, and I've been amassing parts for it. But the question starts to come up with 'what do I plan to do to it?'

This is an important question because I really have no idea.

Do I want it low and slow, and earn the respect that a straight 8 with a 2 speed might garner? Do I build this '68 472 block I've got in the basement and hook it to a TH400?

With the big inch caddy motor I can get power and actually a considerable amount more reliability out of it - but the straight 8 is just COOL.

Decisions decisions...

Any input is appreciated.

I'd go with the 472 Caddy in the Buick, Caddy engines were all the rage back in the day (the Buicks era...)

The kOoL thing to do with the straight 8 to really show it off is to stuff it into a slammed "Rat Rod" kinda Model A with the motor hangin' out for all to see...

Or better yet a Dragula with a straight 8...

Just my couple of cents...

Comment

Psychoholic, you'd be surprised how dependable the old straight eight engines are! I can't say as much for Buick's "fluid drive" trannys, but memory fails me right now if your Buick has fluid drive. As for advice, just follow your own preference. You can't hurt a "door factory" so follow your own vision. I too love the 4-door cars, they aren't really desireable or hold near the $ value of a 2-door but they are just as fun & beautiful. I have a goregous 1964 Mercury Monterey (door factory LOL) and just love it as well as my 1951 Cadillac Superior hearse. The hearse will eventually get updated brakes & 350 Chevy power, but for now she's got the 331 V-8 & three-speed manual tranny.
      If you go with the Buick driveline, just keep a spare water pump & set of points in the trunk & you'll be fine. Parts aren't easy to come by quickly so the mentioned items would be good to carry with you on trips. Remember when people tell you that you have "too many doors" there are other enthusiasts out there that like them. Cars like ours were really meant to be 4 door family cars. Build that Buick however you want (or what the wallet will allow) & enjoy it...

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
        Psychoholic, you'd be surprised how dependable the old straight eight engines are! Cars like ours were really meant to be 4 door family cars. Build that Buick however you want (or what the wallet will allow) & enjoy it...

HERE HERE!!

Comment

I thought about it for a while last night and went down and looked at the engine in the basement - it's actually out of a '70 and has the 950 casting heads (non-smog).

If I stick with the straight 8 I'll need to do an adapter and a 700r4 or something with more than 2 gears - car will be cool, mildly reliable and will get down the road at interstate speeds just fine.

If I go with the big inch cad motor, it will get springs, cam, intake, carb and headers - which also means that I'd have to do a better rear end - so to put one in I'd need to do a 4 link (air ride has a pretty slick one) so I don't snap the car in half when it hooks up.

I'll see how the money works out on this - I'm pretty sure my buddy jeremy has a spare 700r4 sitting around, so we might just roll out this way for a while and build the motor as cash permits.

Comment

From experience:

Those Buick 8's are badass! No, you're not going to be burning rubber all around town but you will cruise quiet and dependable(they are like sewing machines). They cruise easily in the 70-90 mph range and get great gas mileage considering what they are pulling. If your Dynaflow is in good shape, I wouldn't change that either - it's a great transmission. Converting a closed rear end to open driveline sux too.

Keep the 8, buy some hop-up parts for it and cruise like a bad mother fucker. DO NOT FORGET TO RUN WIDE WHITES. Radials look horrible on 51 Buicks(again, from experience).

Comment

A book for you Psychoholic!

Here's what ya need to name your Roadmaster...
              Attached Files

Comment

A fellow Buick fan too!

Check this out... since you & I both like Buicks, here's one I built in 2003. It's a 1965 Buick Sport Wagon (Buick's verion of the Vista Cruiser with full-windowed roof) I yanked the 300 V-8 & slushy 2-speed automatic & installed a .030 over 350 Chevy & Muncie 4-speed manual on the floor! You like? LOL love that Roadmaster of yours...
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X