Jaguar "Hearse"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaguar "Hearse"

Just wondering, on Harold and Maude, there was a Jaguar "hearse". What year was the car? Not an important question, just wanna know out of curiosity. I've tried looking, but with no luck.

Not sure of the year, but the movie was made in 1971, so I would guess 1970 or 1971.

Comment

Just lookin' at the shape of the non-hearse portions, it kinda looks like one of these -- http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-Matchbo.../dp/B000JLBQXA -- which says it's a '61.

I could be wrong though, I can't say I'm a Jaguar expert, but I do have a sickness for Matchbox cars.

Comment

Found this:

"The exact model of Jaguar that Harold drives? Well, thanks to Daisy and Devin Kinkaid (morwenna@malibuonline.com), Chris Brown (cwb1@cornell.edu) and Cuno Schneeberger (myself@cuno.ch), here's the answer: The jaguar is an XKE Series 2 roadster (i.e., a convertible). The Series 2 ('69 to '71) did not have a V12 engine, but a 4.2 litre inline six. Chris says that his guess is that the movie makers took the convertible and fabricated the hearse top/rear, rather than getting a hard-top and altering it. You can check out here for reference.

From a Jaguar mechanic who cringes every time I see the Jag go over the cliff: first of all it is a Jaguar E-type. They were built from 1962-1974. From the headlights and tail lights it is a car built after 1967. But because of the twin (rather than four) exhaust pipes it has a six cylinder engine, instead of the V12. They started putting V12 engines in the car in 1971. So it is a 68-70, six cylinder E-type convertible."

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post

Not sure of the year, but the movie was made in 1971, so I would guess 1970 or 1971.
          Thats the exact same thing I told her. She asked because of the MatchBox Jag.....lol Funny how we all think a like.

Comment

It's funny how it seemed so hard to figure out what year it was! I was also thinking it was probably a '70 or '71, but I couldn't help but notice how it looked very similar to the '61 Matchbox (yes, I have one too). Thanks everyone (especially Psychoholic) for the answers.

Comment

Working...
            X