Please don't fire guns into the air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't fire guns into the air

Yes, I know it's a new year, and you're all happy that a new president is taking over the White House, and I'm not even much of a fan of the human race, but every time you harm each other, or each others' property, it ends up costing all of us, one way or another.

An American television show, Mythbusters, did an experiment, perhaps their most irresponsible yet, in which they attempted to show that a bullet fired into the air cannot possibly cause serious injury to a human being, but consider this:

1.) Children and young adults. They have sutures in their skulls which still have not completely healed, and a bullet at terminal velocity would most likely tear them apart. Have you seen the shape of a jacketed rifle bullet? They're tapered to a sharp point.

2.) Property. A car, for instance, could suffer a thousand dollars' damage or more. Maybe you'll put one through your windshield...that's a grand by now, for commercial glass, or put one through the hood of a newer car.

3.) Pets. My dog is extremely frightened just from the sound of fireworks, and is hiding behind my chair. Even speaking softly to him in French, which always calms him down, isn't working, and gunfire is much louder than fireworks. Irresponsible people who do not bring their pets inside will probably lose them.

4.) Windage, ballistics, etc. You might think that you're firing a bullet straight up and actually be shooting at a neighbor's house. A bullet travels at half a mile a second or more, and can travel several miles at that trajectory, so try drawing the graph.

5.) Vietnam Syndrome (or any post-war). Laugh if you want, but I knew someone who had it. It's very real. I also rented a house and found out what happened to the previous tenant. Some children were setting off fireworks in the street, and that set off an attack of post-war syndrome in him. He came out with a gun and killed them both.

6.) Most importantly, bullets that are fired up into the air do seriously injure and kill people.

If those aren't enough reasons for you, then I suppose that your head will most likely suffer no damage.

-denise

Last year we had a neighbor who was doing some bills on her computer.
    Some neighborhood kids a few houses down were firing a gun in to the air. The bullet came down, went thru the roof of the house and into the top of her head, killing her. I wanna see Jamie and Adam come to her house and explain to her young children how that it was impossible for their mother to have been killed by a falling bullet.

Comment

Yup, for sure. They might even be able to sue the network, despite their warnings, because they didn't fire the gun.

Say, where do you get those bumper stickers like you have on your avatar? I want to take a pissing one and a praying one, and put them together into one so that the kid is pissing on the holy cross.

-dee

Comment

Working...
      X