So this is pretty much bullshit - Bill S.773

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is pretty much bullshit - Bill S.773

I don't get too bent over politics very often but I do get worried when I can very plainly see some BS brewing. The Patriot Act was one of the most horrific pieces of legislation ever passed to give the government an unrealistic amount of control - now the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 could put the nail in the coffin! This isn't just Obama, and it's not just Bush - it's BOTH! Please please please read.

There's a new bill working its way through Congress that is cause for some alarm: the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (PDF summary here), introduced by Senators Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) and Olympia Snowe (R-ME). The bill as it exists now risks giving the federal government unprecedented power over the...

OpenCongress helps you track bills, senators, representatives as well as gain access to hundreds of legal forms and templates.

So I wrote my senator:

After reading the entirety of the S773 I must say that I am outraged and concerned beyond comprehension! The verbiage of the bill is such that without any due process of law the government may intercede into corporate and private networks and restrict or remove access and have complete search/seizure rights to corporate data. What constitutes a cybersecurity emergency is not only vague and tragically subjective, but ill formed conjecture proposed by people who clearly have zero idea regarding technology. Protecting 'cyberspace' is typically done by best practices and the certification process of service providers. If you are going to do transactions with a bank or be able to do online transactions with another entity, it is the right of the originator to only do business with businesses that pass COBIT, ITIL, SOX or even just SAS70 compliance certifications. The same logic that applies to hiring a licensed and insured contractor to do improvements to your house should apply to your ability to do business with bonded institutions. No certifications regarding network security, then you don't do business with them - but it is the choice of the group wanting to do the transaction.

Aside from the errant slap in the face to freedom of speech, and the disturbing continuation and extension of the worst parts of the Patriot Act. The safety of our country is hugely important, and I do wholeheartedly agree - but the protection of our freedom is paramount. I would think that most of your constituents would agree that we should not give up our freedom for a perceived and ill-represented protection from something that only gives extended rights to the government to intercede where they should have no jurisdiction.

He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither - Ben Franklin

Thank you for your consideration,

Chris DiGanci

And this is what I got back from Saxby Chambliss:

Dear Mr. DiGanci:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 773, the "Cybersecurity Act of 2009." It is good to hear from you.

S. 773 was introduced on April 1, 2009 and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. This legislation would secure cyber communications in the United States to protect the free flow of commerce with global trading partners and defend against disruption of the internet and intranet communications.

Today there are increasing threats of espionage over the internet that threaten our national security. This bill would develop a fully integrated and coordinated public-private partnership to enhance cyber security. Additionally, it would establish the Office of National Cybersecurity Advisor to coordinate among the intelligence communities, civilian agencies, and the President. This new office would have the authority to disconnect a federal or critical infrastructure network from the internet if they are found to be at risk of cyber attack.

I understand your concerns about the government controlling different aspects of the internet. Should this legislation come before the full Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my website at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.

*sigh*

You get the feeling that nobody A) knows what is going on B) gives a shit?

You should demand forgiveness from Barack Hussein Obama-Hmmm-hmmm-hmmm immediately for this blasphemy. Imagine not thinking the Govenment doesn't have your best interest at heart! As pennance you should say 5 Holly Michelles.

Comment

“The punishment which the wise suffer who refuse to take part in the government, is to live under the government of worse men.” — Plato

Comment

I have felt like we were on the down hill slide for many years now. Every once in a while you find a bump on that slide you can hold on to for a short while to slow down the descent, but we are still going down. Good politicians are few and far between these days, and the bad ones just keep getting worse and worse as we go. If things don't change in these next two election cycles we are fucked, hell we may already be fucked.
        Something drastic needs to happen.

I can't say what though in case the feds are monitoring this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by LMS View Post
          Something drastic needs to happen.

I can't say what though in case the feds are monitoring this thread.

Well we all studied History in school. Go to your history books to see what happens next.....

Comment

Asking Barack for anything is pointless - it was a republican who submitted this and it's a continuation of the Patriot act.

Oh, and just read that both Georgia Senators voted against the rape bill...

Comment

Asking George W, Bush anything now that he is no longer President would be pointless, but that was also the case when the clueless one was in office. On the other hand, with all the complaints about the Patriot act from the Democrats when Bush was in Office, why aren't the same ones leading the charge to repeal it now that he isn't there? Think they want to give up that much power?

Comment

Doesn't matter which party you choose, it's a one party system masquerading as a two party system. They just hand power back and forth and nothing ever really gets done except they get more power as you lose more of your rights and privacy for the illusion of security in the name of patriotism. If you aren't with us and speak out then you're a god-damned terrorist and why do you hate America?

I really like how the G20 protests got cops in riot gear and teargas while the teabaggers get plain clothes cops (joining in) and milk and cookies.

Comment

It will never come before a full Senate. Not much does anymore; and, in fact, at the Hague in November, I'm told, Obama plans to sign away the sovereignty of the United States.

There isn't just bad legislation, but Czars now. They answer to no one but Obama.

Also, Obama put a new general in charge in Afghanistan, and three times the the troops went, but they left the weapons behind in Iraq.

Obama is also hoarding ammunition, so, I'm told, ubiquitously.

Osama is following the same plans as Hitler and Stalin did, and this will soon be a Communist country. Of course, no one will believe it until after it happens, but it will happen. The only difference between Nazi Germany and Obamerica will be that the master race will be brown, with a black leader, instead of Aryan, with a black-haired leader.

Oh, BTW, have you seen all of those commercials for gold buyers? The reason that there so many of them, and one of them came out and said it today, is that the gold is all going to the US Government. I think that they're trying to cover some of the money that they printed, so the dollar at least won't lose any more confidence. Many countries won't take them, which is why oil is $80/barrel and your gas prices are so high. $80 just isn't much anymore, to the rest of the world.

Obama is also trying to do away with the FCC and put that under control of a Czar, so that only government propaganda can be broadcasted, and to cut off our Internet (yes, it can be done). You might want to get some ham radio gear.

Still, I've had a pretty good life, at least some of it, although I could have done without the pain, and the US was one hell of a country for a while. It has lasted longer than many. The thing that comforts me the most about my handgun (not, and let me make that clear, NOT that I am planning on doing this) but if things get so bad here that life is no longer worth living, I can simply crack my shell and go on to where I am going. (I keep my religion to myself these days. Having a religion that others do not know about seems to label me as mentally defective, and I'm not interesting in spreading it anyway. Either it stands on its own, spreads itself, or doesn't exist).

-denise

Comment

Working...
                  X