Pit Bull advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Bull advice

I have come to the conclusion that my dog is at least mostly pit bull, and his behavior is different from any other dog I have kept, so I have to ask for some advice.

In a month or so (hopefully), he will be riding in a long-haul semi with the hubby and me. He is 13 months old now, according to the Pound, and either really hyper or asleep. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground, except that he loves to play grabass with me. He never bites hard enough to hurt me, nor do I hurt him when I grab his paws and snoot, but if someone accidentally hurts him, he doesn't yelp like other dogs. He growls and bites.

He stays by my side when I take him out of the house, but when Tony tried to take him out, he bolted, and I had to call him back. He seems to be a one-owner dog.

My concerns are that he will bite someone who comes up to the truck and tries to play with him, which may or may not be a good thing, and that he will bolt if I am not supervising him. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing to train him, in the coming month or so?

Thanks

-d

That's unusual behavior for a pit. Any clue where it came from? Might have been a bad home. Our male Amstaff was bred to fight, but because he wasn't aggressive enough early on, they tossed him out (which could've been much worse). Amstaffs and pits are very people oriented dogs, so his first view on people may be not so good. Perhaps a LOT of socialization would help.

Comment

I can't be sure where he came from, because I adopted him from the pound, but someone cared about him enough to get his shots and everything up to date, or felt guilty enough about dumping him. He is a very loving dog, not antisocial, but, I've had dogs all of my life, and I get the feeling that he would be very quick to attack if someone made the wrong move, and he is very aggressive toward other animals. If someone comes within a hundred yards of the house, or even if a car goes by, he goes apeshit. The main problem is that he is stubborn, though. If he doesn't want to move out of my way, I have to pick him up one end at a time and move him. If someone opens the door, he has to be held tightly, or he will try to bolt. A short attention span is one thing, but he doesn't listen at all, unless he wants to.

Comment

just patience and simple, stern commands. One of my pits barks at all and everything (especially other dogs) that she sees from the house. If my dogs have an open door they will bolt outside, good or not they do it but listen well to us. As far as nipping, growling...our pup who is almost 1 yr old still snaps, growls when playing and she takes it too far sometimes. We correct with stern voice and slap on the ass. Hope this helps.

Comment

It does, thanks. Since I've been alone with him, he has had a personality change. Now he wants to follow me around everywhere, and I have to push him out of my bed. It's an improvement, though. I know how to work with him now.

-d

Comment

Comment

what, you recommend shooting them?

Comment

In a month or so (hopefully), he will be riding in a long-haul semi with the hubby and me
                I can't be sure where he came from, because I adopted him from the pound,
                He is a very loving dog, not antisocial, but, I've had dogs all of my life, and I get the feeling that he would be very quick to attack if someone made the wrong move, and he is very aggressive toward other animals.
                what, you recommend shooting them?
                First of all let's not get off on the wrong foot. I am not a dog hater, but I will never have a pet that I can not trust and if that trust is betrayed it is my responsibility as it's owner to take care of what needs to be done to not endanger anyone.
                An experience with a dog my wife (now ex-wife) brought home from the humane society.. Beautiful dog, appeared to be a shepard-husky cross, My son and her had no problem with it and it was very affectionate however it was always nervous around me, and if I came home picked up my son off the floor he would charge, growl, and bark. I didn't like this behavior and told her that if he doesn't come around he will have to go back. She questioned as to why he would have to go if he was just trying to protect Reese (my son). Protecting him is great but if something was to happen to Reese this dog won't let anyone near him to help. She shrugged me off and I said ok , I said my piece.. Well low and behold about a week later Reese was out playing and cut himself on some tin and was bleeding bad, I saw him coming towards the house and the blood and ran to meet him and check him out, Reese was young, about 3 yrs. as I was checking him out and yes he needed stitches, this dog came out of nowhere and was all over my back and biting my neck and head the whole while I have my son in my arms...So set the boy down and turn to my attacker not to be to aggressive but to defend myself against harm..while I am dealing with the dog the wife came out to see what was going on and called off the dog, well she had to pull him off as I let go of his throat.. Then she noticed Reese bleeding all over and thought the dog had done it. We put him in the truck and off to the hospital to get him sewn up...During the ride to the hospital I explained what had happened, actually defending the dog, when we got back I carried Reese into the house and Angie tended to his needs. I went to the gun rack and took care of the problem...

So NO, I don't recommend shooting them, but if you can't trust your pet to obey and not harm anyone, then it should definitely not be out in public. If you are going to take this dog on the road and he only listens when he wants to then there will be a problem it is just a matter of time and it doesn't seem to listen to your hubby at all, this isn't good either.. So be aware of the situations you will be putting this animal into and how you will handle any problems that arise... That is all.

Comment

Working...
                X