No announcement yet.

Buddy of mine just sent me these......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddy of mine just sent me these......

I want one. Hands down these things look dope as fuck.
    Attached Files

Yes they do.

Comment

i'll take 2 please, thanks.

Comment

I have never seen anything like that.

Comment

Just how old is professor Luigi Colani anyway? lol

J/K but it does look like something he would do.

[youtube]aeO0B8MtYog[/youtube]

Comment

These look like some of the "teardrop" vehicles, experiments in aerodynamics. They are definitely cool-looking, which mattered at one time. The technology kind of got put on the back burner during the 60s and 70s, but it has come back around, this time with the emphasis on practicality rather than style. I think it's kind of a shame.

-d

Comment

Labatt Streamliner...

Just to fill in some blanks for anyone interested in reading...

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/labatt_white_article.htm

"The Streamliner won a "Best Design" award at the 1939 World's Fair in New York and was the first tractor-trailer rig in Canada equipped with air brakes and an anti-jack-knifing device.

Designed by Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky, who also conceived the landmark 1935 Chrysler Airflow and 1933 Nash, the Streamliner was meant to be a kind of motorized goodwill ambassador for Labatt's, and its drivers were trained and expected to assist other motorists with breakdowns, flat tires, and so on.

Constructed specifically for Labatt's, the Streamliner was also meant to give the company "instant identity" and "provide a viable alternative to rail." Originally co-built by the White Motor Company of Canada, Fruehauf Trailers and Smith Brothers Body Works, the first Streamliner delivered in 1935 - was the world's first truly aerodynamic truck. Only one survives - the bright red 1947 model pictured on this page - which, after a seven-year restoration project, was put back- on the road again in 1984."

Comment

Great article! Thanks for posting the link.

I have to wonder about the double-clutching comment, though...what is the point in using the clutch for anything other than stopping? Once you're out of your first gear, you don't need it, unless you're lugging and you have to pop it out of gear. I have to wonder about the anti-jacknifing device as well...what was it, and what was it supposed to do?

-d

Comment

Working...
                X