no exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no exit

I have a slight fear of climbing in the back of my hearse. It has nothing to do with the fact that dead people were back there. That doesn't bother me. It's the fact that if a strong wind comes by and blows the door shut, I can't get out. Is there a reason there are no door handles in the back? Did someone at some point make a daring escape on their way to the cemetery? I seriously don't think I can climb through the sliding windows in the divider, nor do I want to try. If I climb in the back I have to open all the doors just to evade my fear. It is almost time to figure out if I can easily install some inside handles.

What model is that? That is a very valid concern. With three doors you should have an exit. Have the panels been redone and the handles eliminated?

Comment

My '80 S&S Victoria is the same way, there were never any inside door releases on any of the 3 rear doors or a place for them. Side door glass is stationary so if you are back there & the doors close, your only hope is to climb through the divider glass into the front.

Comment

it's an '88 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon. Converted by Superior. I am not sure if the doors were just re-paneled or if they were fully redone. I don't believe that the original doors had key holes on the back doors, but all 5 of my doors can be keyed into. There are a few things I have to do to get my car registered in CA, and the doors at this point are the least of my worries at the moment, but will probably be the first thing I do after registration.

Comment

I've got a latch on the back door and have done the partition window thing before, just cause I'm a skinny fucker and it's easy. Eventually I'll pick up some hardware and get that redone though.

Comment

I might be able to fit through the partition window, but it wouldn't be fun or comfortable.

Comment

does the push-button lock on your back door stick way up? if so, try pushing it down and see if it opens the rear door.

Comment

there is no push button lock on any of the back doors. you can lock the with they key, or from the power locks in the front.

Comment

That is seriously creepy. The inside of the car must be cleaned/maintained. Suppose some guy gets in there and he doesn't realize this and he's too porky to go through the window. And everyone's gone home for the hot 4th of July weekend....

Comment

Mine has inside door handles on all 3 doors, but then it's a 1969 and we were just learning the real dangers of the living dead at that time.

Comment

do you suppose the government demanded that the latches be removed for the sake of containment?

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawk Freak View Post
                        That is seriously creepy. The inside of the car must be cleaned/maintained. Suppose some guy gets in there and he doesn't realize this and he's too porky to go through the window. And everyone's gone home for the hot 4th of July weekend....
                        Then someone is coming back to a broken fucking window. Of course if this happened to me in this day and age I'd just use my cell phone.

Comment

Originally posted by theonlyjohnson View Post
                          do you suppose the government demanded that the latches be removed for the sake of containment?
                          I'd bet the manufacturer probably did it to save money and it got under the radar somehow. It's possible there was some change to FMVSS laws that applied to it so they didn't have to worry about a recall being demanded.

Comment

That happened to me and a friend of mine. At the time the glass partition was out so I could crawl up front easily. Now not so sure. I reinstalled the partition this past weekend.

Comment

Could it be as simple as the thought that they just didn't think the guy "riding" in the back would need them? With the exception of the models that have seats for the loved ones to ride along I'd say the other "passenger" wouldn't more than likely be trying to make an exit. But you never know.....

Comment

Working...
                              X