Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Superbowl XLVI comercials?

Here's mine~

Those that know me know that I don't fall for the typical cutesy/funny commercials that are force-fed to dumbed down masses. There must be a strong correlation between concept, product, tag line, and execution to be successful.

Alcohol commercials? Waste of time. Stupidity in motion. (Slight credit given to Budweiser for their heritage nod with Clydesdales pulling cart with Dalmatian - and only this Bud commercial.)

Honorable Mentions

Chevy Post Apocalyptic: About time some rivalry heats up in this era of political correctness. Then again, this is a rather meek counterstrike to Ford's chief marketer Jim Farley publicly saying (and I quote): "Fuck GM. I want to beat Chevrolet with a bat." Commercial concept though? Lame. What about tying in Mayan prophesy about end of world and Twinkies also surviving? Still as stale as those Twinkies. The fact that Chevrolet spent $7M to take a swipe gets honorable mention.

Sketchers Mr. Quiggley: Decent enough concept and who doesn't like animals? Moonwalk is so overplayed though. Solid product correlation targeting a younger demographic.

Career Builder Chimpanzees: Sucked right in following storyline not knowing where exactly it was going. Then hit with what the viewer should have guessed all along. Well played. Strong concept and product correlation.

Fiat Abarth Italian model: Fantastic concept. Really enjoyed this one and was damn near tied to make my 3rd favorite. Ultimately, a little cheesy prohibited it from doing so. Exotic, overwhelming, evoking passion, great direct product correlation between model and car, even attention to detail was spot on. Her accent was even correct! Didn't you feel sorry for that poor chump not knowing what to do with himself first? Classic. Slight deflation that product wasn't nearly as sexy as alluded to.

3rd Place

Doritos Man's Best Friend: Doritos has done a very good job building off prior Superbowl commercials and this was no different. Without that background, this wouldn't have been pulled off nearly as effectively. Having a giant breed with very human like eyes worked well.

Fun to watch is the blooper reel for making that 30 second clip too.

2nd Place

Audi Vampire Party: This works on SO many levels. Brilliant concept. Check this out...Audi's targeted demographic is twofold. First, they're going straight after edgy people that grew up in the '80s that can now afford this $60k base price S7. Instant romantic connection between perfectly chosen Echo & the Bunnymen's Killing Time and subject matter. The party itself is stimulating; tying the first wave of vampire "popularity" once again from the '80s. Very gently Audi is also poking fun at their second targeted demographic, Gen Y and Gen Z, by associating vampires with current lighter True Blood types. At the same time however, Audi is planting a seed with Gen Y and Gen Z by introducing a tech-savvy product that they should one day hope to attain. Totally clean fresh concept that nails all criteria with wonderful attention to detail. Simply put, it's perfectly executed and to the point. I'll bet same advertising firm that Audi used for last year's Release the Hounds commercial too - as there are concept parallels abound.

My sentimental favorite actually for song use.

1st Place

Pepsi King's Court: Top two commercials are on a plateau by themselves. Pepsi gets the nod for being so over the top. Was Jean Paul Gaultier the set designer? Such lavishness and minute attention to detail certainly looks like his haute couture flair. Pepsi is connecting with a wide demographic between music lovers both young and old. Not easy upstaging Elton John's 'normal' ridiculousness, yet here it is. Nice showcasing of Melanie Amaro's voice - whose Google searches will undoubtedly spike. This commercial likewise fits all successful criteria. Although tag line connectivity to product isn't as strong as Audi's offering, the fact that Pepsi finagled a perfect fit for Flav's stupid-ass Viking helmet and saying makes this the winner.

I would have to go with the Vampire commercial myself. I felt that it was extremely creative. Extra points earned for Pepsi when Elton John drops in the dungeon .

Comment

Naked M&Ms

Comment

I like the one where companies weren't trying to whore their products at me.

... oh, wait

Comment

Working...
        X