Technical phone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical phone question

I have a Galaxy S2 and I was wondering if I could get it to play videos with an output like an Ipod.

There is 1 micro usb at the bottom (no hdmi that I am aware of) and the 3.5mm only seems to accept an audio jack (the longer one for video does not go all the way in)

Do they make a cable that goes from micro usb to composite output (red, white, and yellow)?
    Will it send out a signal?

I doubt you'll find composite but below is a cable for HDMI:

The technology in question is referred to as MHL.

Comment

I'm not sure I know what MHL is.

If I buy the cable, how do I connect it to a car stereo that only has a yellow rca jack for video input.

I'm just not that tech savvy.

You gotta help a brotha out

Comment

Full disclosure, I only had nice stereos in my car when I was a young man. It has been some years since I've owned a car with even a basic radio installed.

MHL is a technical standard adhered to by mobile phone manufacturers that allows the micro USB port on newer phones to output a signal that passively (requires no power) translates to straight HDMI. HDMI is just a high bandwidth video protocol used for things that need large pipes (HD tv streams and the like). You can use the MHL cable to get to an HDMI signal but then you'll need to use a powered device to convert that to the RCA composite signal you're looking for. Something like this: http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=18700237 would likely fit the bill.

I suspect you could find both the MHL cable and the HDMI to RCA converter on Amazon.com if you'd prefer to deal with just one place. Keep in mind that most of the HDMI converters you'll find are intended to be used in a home with 120v AC electricity. You'll either need to step the car's 12v DC system to whatever the requisite input DC voltage is for the converter directly or use an inverter to supply 120v AC from the car's system to the converter's power adapter.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II says it does MHL and HDMI.

A better place to ask this sort of thing would be on xda-developers.com and reddit.com/r/androidquestions just for future reference.

If you want to go from USB to RCA you'll need to get a converter. Use the cable Dicky suggested and get an HDMI to RCA converter http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite...sxp_grid_i_0_0 That should work, but don't quote me on that or get your hopes up.

Comment

Damn Dickey, you really know your stuff. Thanks for the education.
            Scary Guy, you are always right on the money also.

I may look at all these fun cables, but it is starting to feel like maybe I should just buy another Ipod.

I really appreciate your help and input. Let me know if you ever need anything on my end. Customizing cars is one of my hobbies. I have a full shop at my house dedicated to my projects. (no hearses recently though, just older Caddys). I do some pretty crazy stuff if you search my previous posts.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
              I have a Galaxy S2 and I was wondering if I could get it to play videos with an output like an Ipod.

There is 1 micro usb at the bottom (no hdmi that I am aware of) and the 3.5mm
              car dvd players only seems to accept an audio jack (the longer one for video does not go all the way in)

Do they make a cable that goes from micro usb to composite output (red, white, and yellow)?
              Will it send out a signal?
              Hey man sorry to interrupt you but I am willing to buy Galaxy S2 what is your reviiew about it?
              Last edited by Burunt; 01-16-2013, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Hey man sorry to interrupt you but I am willing to buy Galaxy S2 what is your reviiew about it?
                Then go fucking buy one! You sound like a scammer digging up a 6 month old thread that has nothing to do with hearse.
                Not to mention the lousy grammar.

Comment

hello do you still have this bug with you. I am...
                  hello do you still have this bug with you. I am looking to buy one can you tell some reliable source?
                  Another quote from our new Nigerian scammer.

Comment

Good call.

Comment

Personally I think it's hilarius. The quality of the posts he's bumping could be a bit better though.

Comment

Working...
                      X