Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto Posted: HOT MONSTER TRUCK FIRE HEARSE ~ early Austin ART CAR by Scott Prescott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Posted: HOT MONSTER TRUCK FIRE HEARSE ~ early Austin ART CAR by Scott Prescott

Up for sale here is an Art Car that was built in the 1980's by a CCS (Center for Creative Studies) class taught by Scott Prescott, who was a visiting instructor from Texas where he was soon to be partly responsible for the eighties art car explosion and its later popularity with the industrial arts crowd. Scott Prescott went on to build many other such cars, entering vehicles into the Austin Art Car Parade. Later vehicles took on a more militaristic appearance, but this early art car is more monstrous than military.

The Flame Hearse is constructed of a 1940's Dodge Hearse Flower Truck upper body welded to the chassis of a ten-wheel truck. This thing is truly enormous. The front grill and engine compartment have been cut out to create a gaping mouth with chrome bumpers cut as fangs. The entire truck is run with pipes that carry propane to slits which can be ignited to supply fire to nearly every portion of the vehicle. The truck has been modified to be ignited inside & out, with flame lines run throughout the gaping mouth but also along the front dashboard and both side windows, as well as a line across the back window. Each of these lines can be shut down with its' own valve, and work is needed on the system, but fire can be produced both inside & out when hooked up to a propane tank. I usually use a 100 pound tank and fill up at a welders supply. The flames are strongest when the tank is full, and a regulator should be installed for greater effect. The truck needs some renovation, especially a tire change as one in front caught fire - but there's a spare in back so this shouldn't be too bad. The windshield has broken from fire, but I've been told this was a regular occurrence, especially when hotter gases were used, and spares were kept on hand when it was displayed at the college it was built at.

I acquired the Flame Hearse more than ten years ago from a storage space that CCS rented for about fifteen years. Before that it was on display at the college, but this would have been in the eighties after it was built. I have assembled some supporting materials relating to its construction. A South End article gives some background on the artist, and an early eighties comic book that supposedly was the trucks inspiration has been promised to me by an area artist who has memories of the project. Several rumors surround the Hearse, including that the Truck was originally called the "Ghettoblaster", and that the Hearse was the very one used to carry Henry Ford to his grave. I have substantiated neither of these, but the latter seems very unlikely, as the hearse is not a Ford vehicle.

Here are a few links that relate to the artist Scott Prescott :

Hundreds of pictures of art cars doing everything from art car ballet to art car cacophony. Pictures and Stories represent the lore of the art car and is the best of the Art Cars in Cyberspace web site.

Take a look at the photos & feel free to email with any questions.

$2500 OR Best Offer (all offers will be considered, identical offers will favor the earliest email).
    Local pickup only - Tow will require flatbed truck at purchasers expense (I last towed it for $100) - I'm located in Detroit.

• Location: Detroitit's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

More...

I wish someone would buy this piece of shit so I never have to see it again, it's been for sale for years...

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
      I wish someone would buy this piece of shit so I never have to see it again, it's been for sale for years...
      am sick to death of looking @ it as well ......I keep hoping Zach would buy it and build A.L.E.X.I 2.0

Comment

Maybe they should quit wasting their time and ours and just send it to the crusher already.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out why the seller keeps saying, "1940's dodge hearse FLOWER TRUCK"?????

Comment

Working...
          X