I Need Hearse Buying Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Hearse Buying Advice

I have decided to indulge my dark side to a greater degree by purchasing a hearse to drive as opposed to just having one to scare kids at Halloween. After some research and taking a lot of things into consideration I have pretty much decided on 1994-1996 Fleetwoods, S&S or Federal preferably. I really want black or gray with a dark leather interior. I have found a few for around $4000-6000 that are mechanically sound but has rust or needs new vinyl, etc. I have found nicer ones for a couple grand more but they either aren't exactly what I am looking for or are already sold. Doug Scott at funeralcars.com has some cars that are very nice and close to what I want. But his are high dollar. To my admittedly inexperienced eye they appear to be worth the extra money because he puts whatever they need into them before putting them up for sale. But I don't know if his prices are fair for what I am getting or not. Any advice on pricing, value and anything else I should consider would be greatly appreciated. Should I keep looking and wait for the exact car that I have in mind or settle for something close? Should I pay more than the car may be worth to get what I want, how do I know what to pay? I could use any pointers and ideas you may have. Money is not an issue so I don't need to settle for something inexpensive. I just don't want to make a bad decision.

read this for starters: http://www.hearseclub.com/resources/...ingahearse.htm

Comment

I did. I need a little more detailed info but the article by Zachary Helm was extremely helpful. That article got me thinking and doing more research than I would have done otherwise. I plan on emailing the guy when I get a chance and thanking him. He saved me from buying something that would just be sitting in the yard. Thanks!

Comment

the models that you are interested are newer than what most of us here have. For the most part, we typically have 70's and 80's models. the mid-90's do seem to get a higher price than 91 and earlier, but if the vinyl needs replacing, that's going to be a major expense. It can also cause rust issues, assuming the top of the coach is metal instead of fiberglass.

the best thing you can do is look around on ebay and call around for prices. any rust, vinyl, or glass problems should drastically lower the value.

Comment

Be persistent...it will pay off. I myself am looking for a similar coach and it can get frustrating at times. While not many coaches in that year bracket were ordered with such...they DID make a few with the darker or black interiors. Maintaining a single tier roofline is also easier than one with a tiara or crown band, as those rooflines tend to develop issues at the decorative band going up and over the roof. http://mustercoaches.com/cgi-bin/Com...103:Lcgi_html/ ...also see stock number 705229. Both of these coaches have black interiors. The LT1 drivetrain in these coaches are very durable and with proper care, can last 300K or better...just be sure you get the 5.7 and not the 4 liter wheezer....easy way to tell the difference is to look on back of driver side head and if 5.7 is stamped there below on block, you're good to go. Good luck and like I said...be persistent.
          Last edited by Apostle; 04-10-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I found a body that I liked and dumped a new drive train in it. I have $4000 invested, but it's a new car on an old frame. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

Comment

Thanks for the tips and link. I'll give Muster Coaches a call tomorrow. A trip to Kentucky may be in my future. I thought I had completely searched the net but apparently not because I had not come across Muster.

Comment

I remember there is a Cadillac engine in the mid to late 90's (??) that was known to blow head gaskets.

A built LT1/LT4 would kick ass.

Comment

Working...
                X