Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearse Insurance

Hey everyone,
    Someone else has more than likely touched base on this subject but I am having issues with insuring my '75 with my current provider, (Progressive).

I explained to them the whole story that It was a hearse but is no longer being used as such and I was looking for the best insurance possible when it came to glass coverage.

They are claiming that since it was officially classified as a commercial chassis that it would and could not be insured as private vehicle, but when they transferred me over to the commercial side of progressive they said that they could not insure it because it was no longer a commercially used vehicle.

I did not have a problem with getting coverage when I was with Gieco but we separated on less than great terms.

Which leads me here to the forum to see if others have had better luck with other providers? Or ways I and others like myself could work our ways around these roadblocks?

Help is greatly appreciated from all.

I just went to the DMV and had mine registered as a station wagon, instead of a commercial vehicle, and that fixed everything for me.

Comment

i have mine insured with allstate with no issues. but i think a lot depends on the VIN, and since you have an older vehicle actually built on a commercial chassis, that is probably the difference.

Comment

Progressive's computers automatically decode VINs @ flag those that decode as commercial. But whoever told you this:

but when they transferred me over to the commercial side of progressive they said that they could not insure it because it was no longer a commercially used vehicle
        Doesn't know what they're doing. We had progressive commercial insurance for a race hauler that was only being used for track days [so no commercial use at all]. Though its a little more complicated to get a progressive commercial policy. You can't do it online & they have to do all kinds of background checks & credit checks on you before they'll write a policy. Like antique insurance they have a min age requirement also. Premium ran about $800/year IIRC which isn't bad for a 25k GDW truck.

Comment

I used to have mine with State farm and they knew it was a hearse. They had no problem with it.
          Now it is with Haggerty.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I call progressive again and asked them how I could get the hearse insured and that others have used progressive for their cars and
            did not have any issues at all. With a low 250$ deductible for they hit me with a quote of 785$ for six months. I called Hagerty and after I give them some info and pictures they give me a quote of 263$ for the whole year with a 0$ deductible. Going to be doing everything I can to go with them.

Comment

Originally posted by lastryde View Post
              Thank you everyone. I call progressive again and asked them how I could get the hearse insured and that others have used progressive for their cars and
              did not have any issues at all. With a low 250$ deductible for they hit me with a quote of 785$ for six months. I called Hagerty and after I give them some info and pictures they give me a quote of 263$ for the whole year with a 0$ deductible. Going to be doing everything I can to go with them.
              Just be aware that collectors/antique insurance from Hagerty or Grundy will have a set of rules you'll have to follow. Its been a while since we've used them for anything so I am fuzzy on the specifics but recall something about not being able to use the car for "general transportation" [i.e. to go to/from work every day], had to have a garage to store it in when not in use, and having a "normal" car on the road as a primary vehicle. I only have one car & my garage is too full of stuff to park something in so I don't qualify with them.

Comment

i looked into it before also. there may also be some mileage limits.

Comment

I am already limited by the state of PA to 5k/year, I don't drive enough to go beyond that anyway. Emissions exemption so anything goes, no airpump, intake cross-over heaters plugged, no egr, etc. makes life sooo much easier at inspection time.

I forget if its Grundy or Hagerty but one of the two has no mileage restriction, so you could theoretically drive the car from one coast to the other regularly as long as it doesn't fall into "general transportation use" [i.e. going to work every day]. PA DMV rules have a similar "general transportation" ban on anything using historic or collector plates. Though they seem to turn a blind eye to the occasional commute to work on nicer summer days. Though if you take your antique car to work in a blizzard in January because your main car is down for repairs & get in an accident you'd probably have some explaining to do.

Comment

Originally posted by sgath92 View Post
                    Though if you take your antique car to work in a blizzard in January because your main car is down for repairs
                    i have done exactly that in miss abigail a few times.

Comment

Hagerty has no mileage restrictions, just can't be a daily driver. I don't drive mine much anyway, it spends most of it's time in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by sgath92 View Post
                        if you take your antique car to work in a blizzard in January because your main car is down for repairs.
                        Yeah, saw that one a lot when I live in Minneapolis, MN.

Comment

Working...
                        X