another introduction from a new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another introduction from a new guy

Hello all. I've been lurking for some time on the forum and even created an account the other day. Thought I'd take a minute and introduce myself. I've got a number of mobiles, some of them are even kind of cool. Several came out of the woods before I put them back to running. My hearse is a 1958 Cadillac Eureka side loader. It is a rough looking car that had been sitting in the woods since 1989.

Taken just after delivery this past Friday.

The motor isn't the original one to the car but it is a 390 from the same family. After doing the standard old motor resurrection procedures I've established that it isn't seized (the oil even looked brand new, that's a first) and were it not for some shenanigans with the new points I installed, I think it would be running. Once I get it to fire up, I'm pulling it around into my shop so I can get better acquainted with its issues. I suspect I'll have it on the road in time for Halloween.

I know I will have one question after I've had time to examine the whole show in my garage. Has anybody seen a brake cylinder/booster setup like this one:

I know absolutely nothing about it other than I've never seen one before. Asking questions on what to do with it is a bit premature at this point as I haven't had time to take it apart and determine how it is supposed to function yet but so far it is the most unique piece of the car I've seen.

Welcome!

Very very cool!

Comment

Welcome to it!

Comment

Welcome Dickey, now ive gotta ask is the cargo roof rack a livery option? Funeral home run 2 for one specials or something?

Comment

Awesome! Gotta love the old Eurekas! Welcome to NHAA

Comment

Originally posted by v8nightmare View Post
            Welcome Dickey, now ive gotta ask is the cargo roof rack a livery option? Funeral home run 2 for one specials or something?
            The luggage rack is just wishful thinking I believe. Should I continue on schedule and get this thing roadworthy before Halloween, I intend to attach one of of those full size Bucky skeleton models from ebay to it. If positioned like it is hanging on for dear life, the rough paint work might not stand out so much at first glance.

In related news, fired the motor up this evening. Like clockwork, I forgot the throttle return spring and am just now coming down from the adrenaline bump. Generator appears to work fine as it was doing its best to weld the old fuel pump to the positive post. Good times. Hopefully I'll be able to get it into the shop tomorrow or at the very least, before Irene gets here.

Comment

Thats a cool lookin car. Have never seen a booster like that

Comment

Great score; rare coach; welcome to the NHAA!

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
                  I know absolutely nothing about it other than I've never seen one before. Asking questions on what to do with it is a bit premature at this point as I haven't had time to take it apart and determine how it is supposed to function yet but so far it is the most unique piece of the car I've seen.
                  Thats a new one to me. A new attempt by GM to try to conserve under-hood real estate by putting it in a vertical position maybe.

Comment

Not sure about your brake set up, but that's one sweet coach my man. Beautiful. Welcome, as well!

The luggage rack is nice, for taking all your belongings with you when you go lol. I dig the rack as well but the fender mounted F-150 mirrors set it off nicely lol.

But seriously. Very nice coach, and also a very rare find good luck on her!

Comment

Hot damn...took some digging but I finally got a GIS hit on "1958 coupe de ville master cylinder". I was methodically trying every model Cadillac did from 56-60 to see if I could find a picture that might have a better name to seach for, which I managed to get. This particular master cylinder setup is a style called Bendix Treadle Vac. They come in both vertical and horizontal iterations, but the vertical style I have was only put in use for a brief time. A handy discussion with pictures can be found at http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...lle-pt2/page13.

Hopefully I can find some manner of kit to rebuild it. I'm hesitant to get rid of it simply because it is pretty wild looking and makes the plugs very easy to get to.

edit - Also, thank y'all for the warm welcoming.

Comment

spent about 5 mins looking and came across this. It appears to be what you need to rebuild. Most of the reading I saw was 50/50 on whether to keep it or upgrade to a new style master cylinder.

http://www.kanter.com///productdetai...Cat=800&Prc=39

Comment

Late to the party, but welcome aboard! Sweet 58!

Comment

Got it idling properly and timed this evening. Added coolant and topped up the transmission fluid. After that I even went so far as to hook everything back up to use the car's systems save for the fuel pump. I need to find a proper ignition source for it but since it was getting late and I really wanted to try the key, alligator clips were just fine. Would have driven it into my shop but the throttle pedal is sticking on something and I don't have enough brakes to override this engine if it decides to motor on through my back wall.

Took a video if anyone is interested; I'm right excited about how far I've gotten since just five days ago I was cutting two inch diameter saplings away from it so I could pull it out of the woods and onto a rollback.

Forgive the excited outburst when it fires up - I've been watching Outsourced on hulu and Rajiv's mannerisms have rubbed off on me.
                            Last edited by Dickey; 08-25-2011, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the site. Your hearse looks to be in good shape from sitting for so many years. I glad to see another person from South Carolina on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X