No announcement yet.

another introduction from a new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was doing some research on the scarebird disc set up and I read that the stock rims may not fit over the disc conversion. Have you tried putting the rims and caps over it yet?

Comment

Welcome Dickey!!

Comment

I bought replacement wheels from a local Pull A Part. As I recall they came off a mid 70's Buick of some sort. They clear the calipers no problem and had four inflatable tires on them to boot.

I just checked this evening to see if the oem wheel covers will fit on them and it appears that they do not. Admittedly I didn't try very hard but it looks as if the wheel covers need a bit different lip than what I have. Not the end of the world as all four rims were not quite $40 but I'll be taking a cover with me back to the junkyard to pick out a wheel with the right bolt pattern to make sure I get rims that they fit.

You are likely aready aware, but the lug nuts on the driver's side of your car are reverse threaded. Same for the castle nut on the spindle up front. Did you catch the link to the pictures I took when I did the conversion on mine; http://www.ls1dmc.com/images/hearse/discbrakes ?

Comment

You MAY get by with standard rims, but I would look for CC or at least pick up truck rims, that thing is a sled.

Comment

I did see that, Thanks! My friend actually sent me the link. I saved it for reference. what kind of caliper and disc did you go with? When i get to the brakes, Im not sure what will fit. Is it any standard GM lug disc?

Comment

The guy at Scarebird will include a list of the parts you need to pick up from the local parts house. As I recall, I have 1975 Deville front rotors (with regular lug nuts), 2000 Escalade calipers (which came preloaded with pads and hardware), and a 15" and 17" flexible hose along with matching banjo bolts. I made custom hard lines from a $95 kit I ordered from Amazon so I was able to maintain the smaller 3/8's fitting the flexible hoses needed to connect to and simply put a 7/16 fitting on the other end where it ties in to the distribution block that came with the car.

Travlinman, thank you. I do not intend to do much driving with the wheels I have and I agree with your considerations regarding the mass involved. As it was, I needed the car to be mobile after getting the discs on and at $9 a piece including inflatable tires I had all I needed to get by for the time being.

Comment

My 64 came with front disc brakes and no front hub caps on it. The PO had replaced the front drums with calipers, rotors, and master cylinder from pick a part in california. Not sure about the spindles. Then used Them for trade in cores. They also replaced the front rims with a standard rim to clear the disc and the hub caps wouldn't fit. I put 72 caddy hubcaps right on. When I start driving it, I will switch Them out with CC rims. I don't know how much it was driven with the reg rims, but I will feel more comfortable with the heavier duty wheels. Some on here have Chevy truck rims on these sleds and seem to work fine, may be another option if CC wheels are not available.

Comment

Has anyone ever actually run across a rim failure with one of these cars?

Comment

Working...
                  X