X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hearse owner, Need Help Identifying Coach Builder / Grille Emblem

2012-02-03_17-10-37_313.jpg2012-02-10_13-25-11_573.jpg

Hello,
    I'm the proud new owner of a 1926 Studebaker hearse and am trying to determine which coach builder the body of the car was manufactured by. Studebaker had a contract with Superior at the time but several Studebaker gurus who have looked at the photos have suggested the car was done by a different builder. There were many other firms that utilized Studebaker chassis at the time so I'm not sure. Here is a photo of a badge attached to the top of the grille which I havn't been able to identify. The emblem says "STATION, SKILL, SOUND COACH." Anybody else out there seen this before? Thanks.

A picture of the body of the car would probably help...a lot. Just sayin'...

Comment

I posted a several pictures of her on the "Procar Forum" section under the heading "New to the Forum, 1926 Studebaker Big Six Hearse." Was just curious if anyone had seen or heard of an emblem like this before and what Company it's from.

Comment

This is a TOUGH one, and since there's no reference to the names on the front emblem in Coachbuilt.com this was most likely a little-known coachbuilder who built these coaches made to order out of a small shop. It's not uncommon, as some builders' businesses really took off... others didn't. What is odd is that several searches of our resources have come up with nada on info! Let me fire off a couple emails and share your photos, might be able to get you some answers.

Excellent save, your Studebaker has a unique look with the opera windows. Are you sure it was a hearse and not a formal limo? Will post what I find for you ASAP. One question: Is there a rear loading door? Looks like a stationary center panel but can't tell for sure...

Comment

There is no rear loading door.

Comment

There absolutely is a rear loading door. May be hard to make out in the photos, but it's there. It has rollers and an attendants seat in the rear and a sliding glass devider between the front and rear compartment. It's definitely built as a hearse, not a limo.

Comment

Made me go back and view your images. The original CL posted pictures doesn't look like there was a rear loading door. Shot you provided clearly shows it.

Last edited by 60Crown; 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks Atti, knew I wasn't loosing it lol

Comment

Working...
                X