Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing mirror location '63 Cadillac?

Hi folks,
    I've got a bit of a dilemma about where to mount a passenger side rear view mirror and would appreciate opinions:
    My car is a '63 Cad Superior, so has the wonderful 59-64 windshield.
    The car does not appear to have had a passenger side mirror during its life, however I'd like to add one to aid in driving/merging/backing etc (we drive on the left side of the road here in NZ, and our roads are small for a monster like this).
    When I got the car, it had a single 55-57 Chevy drivers side mirror mounted on the correct spot. I bought a new pair of matching 55-57 Chev mirrors to go on the car.
    I've done a fair bit of research, and it seems that various methods and mirrors have been used...
    It seems to me that the drivers side mirror position is perfect where it is, mounted near the A pillar.
    If I mount the passenger side one in the same spot, it is useless due to the pillar, so I've dummied it up to sit on the quarter panel, which provides excellent visibility.
    BUT, I'm wondering if it looks strange, or is a 'no-no'.
    I'm not keen on drilling holes in it already, so have to do this right!
    Photos:
    20120821_185436.jpg20120821_185732.jpg20120821_185537.jpg20120821_185346.jpg

Have seen the mirrors on the fenders before, so no big deal there. Its your car, so dont be shy mounting whatever you please to it.

Comment

It's sort of the reason I haven't put a passenger side mirror on my 59 Park Row. Fortunately, it's a limo style, so I have greater visibility. But I honestly should put a mirror there, because having my hearse's sheet metal crushed in an accident wouldn't look factory correcct either.

Comment

This is how the mirrors came on My 64 MM. They are fender mounted as Pyro said and to Me don't look bad. The leading edge of the bottom mirror mount is even with the back of the hood. The mirrors are small, so visibility is limited, but it does have a clear path with no obstructions.There is a few more angles in My triple threat album.000_0025.jpg
        Last edited by travlinman; 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses - yeah I'm leaning towards mounting them both where yours are Travlinman, gives the best visibility and looks great.

Comment

Id say the fender mounted mirror is best. My 63 Superior came with the passenger mirror mounted forward on the fender like you have in the picture, but I didn't care for the squareness since my driver side mirror is rounded. So I mounted a round mirror that clamps with screws to the window frame behind the A pillar. visibility is great, but sometimes my passengers slam the door so I have to re adjust the mirror occasionally.

Comment

Working...
            X