'59 MM Landau Panorama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 MM Landau Panorama

I'd like to take a moment and thank each and every one of you Ecto-wannabe dufuses for this. YOU are solely responsible for driving '59 MM coaches into the stratosphere, punching a hole larger than any carbon footprint. Pat yourselves on the back.

I don't think the ecto folks are sole blame here. That is a PERFECT car, 24k miles, museum quality (which is a subjective measure for sure) - hell, a regular 59 convertible in this shape goes for even more:

Comment

Will work harder on cheekiness next time.

Comment

I will say that I think that the quest for 59 Ecto clones has probably ruined far more 59s than saved them, so in that respect, I do agree.

Comment

i have often wondered if dodge charger fans feel the same way about general lee fans.

Comment

Or ALL Delorian owners.

Comment

I had a 59 Panorama. It was sickening the amount of Ecto-geeks that called with interest in buying the car. However, every one of them was shot down rudely no matter how much cash they had to spend. I was happy to get mine a buyer that is restoring her.

Comment

I rode with my friend to the gas station in his white 1970 MM Lifeliner ambulance. In less than 5 minutes he had 3 or 4 ghostbuster comments. It doesn't help that the man he got it from had the ghostbuster sticker on the hood and you can still see it after he removed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
                  Or ALL Delorian owners.
                  They usually only get pissy when someone points out some aspect of the car that is less than flattering. Be it another owner or just someone on the street.

For me, I have a hard time getting upset over what other people do with their cars. If they want to make their DeLorean into a time machine or if some guy wants to have an Ecto-1 to drive; Who am I to tell them they shouldn't? I think it would be cool as shit to drive an Ecto-1 but not to an extent that I would give another pro-car guy grief because he didn't convert his 59 into one.

Comment

Meh, I'm half and half. If someone owns a car they should be able to do whatever they want with it (why I'm a member here instead of part of the POS).

However I think that they're idiots for irreversibly wrecking their rides. I like mine looking stock with unseen mods I can turn on with a switch.

Agreed about the general lee but only if they weld the doors shut. Usually they can take care of that painjob easily and I'm not aware of any other major mods to that car.

DeLorians? Most of that stuff is just bolt on, some bondo and paint and you're all good.

Ectos you can restore back to normal as long as they don't do any major interior modifications such as ripping out the table or anything crazy.

In any case nothing good lasts forever and soon enough it wont matter. I really need to stop thinking about the heat death of the universe because its really depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Guy View Post
                      I like mine looking stock with unseen mods I can turn on with a switch.
                      that's how i feel. except the whole fins thing, i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
                        DeLorean
                        Damn I butchered the spelling!

Comment

meh, a lot of people do. Even the cats on the dmc forums often skip capitalizing the L even though that is exactly how it was written by the company.

Also, Scary Guy, you'd be surprised at how hard it is to hide bondo on bare stainless steel. I had to replace the entire quarter panel on mine because some douche ran into it in a parking lot and drove away. To the plus, that is how they were designed to accomodate body work and it only took me a few hours to pop the old panel off and put the new panel on. Most of the work was spent transferring the trim plastics and such to the replacement panel.

Comment

Well there is a difference between major reconstruction and just filling/finishing a hole. I mean if you really have to you can at least make it look as close to perfect as possible and some people are gods with bondo.

Comment

I think I see the misunderstanding. The size of a given repair isn't the cause for panel replacement. The car is skinned in kitchen grade stainless steel. Just like any appliance you might see in a restaurant. Factory original cars have no paint of any kind on the body panels to hide the presence of bondo or other fillers. Unless you're saying that no one would notice pink, green or dark gray spots dotted along the exterior finish? If that's the case then we just disagree on what is "close" when it comes to body repairs which is reasonable for a subjective consideration.

To repair a hole in a DeLorean panel the space would have to be tig welded with 304 stainless rod, ground smooth and then a flapper wheel is used to regrain the entire piece so that the repair was uniform to the rest of the panel. There are a handful of guys in the world that make a living doing it but it is the kind of work that requires a lot of talent or a lot of practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X