New Guy looking for a Hearse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy looking for a Hearse

Hey everyone, new to the site here. Im in NY and looking for VERY cheap hearse to be torn apart and redone. I am in theory looking to spend about $500-$1000 to buy it just to tear it apart. Can anyone help me. (As long as it drives, I am willing to travel to pick it up)

Check craigslist

Comment

A drivable hearse that can be "redone" and you are only going to pay $500 for the car?
      Yeah, good luck buddy!

Comment

Hey Big,

I have no idea how much one would go for so I figured 500 - 1000 would be a good number

Point me in the right direction if I am wrong

Comment

I've got one here in Denver I'm willing to let go for $1000. She runs and drives, has a newly rebuilt carb, a strong 500 engine, and lots of dry-rot. No guarantee that she would make a cross-country trip.
          Pics can be found here.

I bought her as a project, got her running, and now I'm moving on. The casket table was long gone when I bought her. I was going to convert her into a limousine, but have since decided that if I want a limo, I'll buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pap344 View Post
            I have no idea how much one would go for so I figured 500 - 1000 would be a good number

Point me in the right direction if I am wrong
            A better number to start would be between $1,000 - $2,000 for something remotely worth fixing. Remember, Cheap is not cheap...
            Buy a $3,000 car and put $2,000 into it, you have a $5,000 car.
            Buy a $500 car and put $10,000 into it, you still have a $5,000 car.

Where in NY are you? - I'm in Rochester
            Last edited by Flymanj3; 02-27-2008, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Hearses

There are several for sale in the Pro Cars section of this web site.

Comment

Ok, I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you guys here...

I have bought several cars under $1000 that were well worth it. My 81 is in great condition, bought her for $800, the current Alexi I purchased for $800 as well, my 1973 Superior 3 way I got for $500 out of Nebraska. You can get good deals on worthwhile hearses, but you have to do a couple of things first...

1. Be patient. I get good deals on hearses because I don't really NEED any more of them since I've got a few already. I am not actively looking, so I can afford to sit around and wait until a really unpassable deal comes my way. Remember the post I made a while back? 3 Hearses for sale for $1200 for the lot? That stuff happens all the time, just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

2. Be vigillant. Posting on message boards like this is a good start but really check Craigslist ALL THE TIME, EVERY DAY, hit Yahoo groups, tell everyone you meet you want a hearse, go to the library and comb through phone books and find every funeral home in the state and call them. A lot of times someone knows someone who knows someone, etc. Also, a lot of times funeral homes let their hearses go DIRT CHEAP (recently saw a 1989 perfectly clean hearse go for $600!) but you really have to be the early bird to get these deals, but when you do you can come back and make us all jealous at the great deal you got!

3. Be ready. $1000 today is better than $3000 two weeks from now. I have walked away with good cars for cheap because I had cash in hand when I got there, even if it was less than they were asking so have money when you start looking.

Your price range isn't absurd by any means, it is just a price range that is going to require you to be more proactive in finding the car you want within it. Also, get to know what you are looking for, here is a link to an article on hearseclub.com that I send everyone to because it was written by an astoundingly smart, articulate and handsome hearse owner - http://www.hearseclub.com/resources/...ingahearse.htm

Also, as Traveller said, she does have a hearse for sale and I can vouch for her that it is priced well and she has done a shit ton of work for it. Hell, come to Denver to buy it and I'll take you out for dinner!

Comment

Zachary makes some good points. But as he wrote, many of the great cars at a cheap price is a matter of luck.

Flymanj3 also has great advice. Try to buy the most expensive car you can afford. A person selling will rarely get out of their sale what they have invested in to it. Shit if that was the case, my car would be worth an obscene amount of money.

Comment

Yes, you can find some great deals out there, I was speaking "in general" and about "cheap". I didn't mean spend the bank on a coach, just get the best Coach you can but be ready to spend a little more if needed. If you say "I'm only gonna spend $500", there is a better chance you'll get a coach that will crack in half the first time you jack it up.
                    My point is stop thinking "cheap", and start thinking "something workable" - Yes, money is going to be an issue... but don't focus on it.

Comment

just remember.........most of the time "you get what you pay for!"

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                        Zachary makes some good points. But as he wrote, many of the great cars at a cheap price is a matter of luck.

Flymanj3 also has great advice. Try to buy the most expensive car you can afford. A person selling will rarely get out of their sale what they have invested in to it. Shit if that was the case, my car would be worth an obscene amount of money.
                        Damn, you brought up something that always gets me, the people who buy a $1000 hearse, spend $2000 on the engine, then think that it is a $3000 hearse when they sell it. No, your pos is still just worth what any other pos is worth when it's running.

Also, one other piece of advice, get yourself a compression tester and test the engine. Now, I am not telling you that so you can decide NOT to buy the car if the engines compression sucks, I've bought some great cars that ran forever with some reall beat ass engines, but if the engine tests out well then you know if it is worth more than the asking price!

Comment

Found this on a quick search through Jersey

Comment

Here's one in NY.....$1500

Comment

Originally posted by tonytheskin View Post
                              Found this on a quick search through Jersey
                              http://southjersey.craigslist.org/car/579716028.html
                              Well... there ya go. Grab a truck, buddy, and a tow chain and you're all set.

Comment

Working...
                              X