Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value?

I know the value of something is relitive, but I'm just trying to get a general idea (think the seller is a bit high)

1987 Buick - think it's an S&S
    Body:
    Body is pretty good. White paint isn't bad, roof has a couple tears (very small) but again, not bad. Biggest flaw is door bottoms (window channels) are rotted out - Outside skin still good.
    Glass:
    All Good - no cracks. Windshield was replaced, has a good amount of sealer around it. no indications of leaks inside.
    Interior:
    Looks mint - front & back. Wood bed w/ all hardware (end loader only)
    All elect. seems to work (locks, windows, etc)

Here is where things get 'if-e'...

Car has sat aprox. 3 years in carport (cement floors but open front wall)

Tires are dry-rot, exhaust sitting on floor (e.g. rotted off), leaking break lines are the 3 major problems up front.
    Dumped some gas down the carb and the 5.0 L (307 ci) started right up, tranny seems to go right in gear (couldn't move it on flat(s) and no breaks). Motor sounded pretty good - no ticking, etc and no sign of leaks under the motor. but again, loud w/o exhaust.

While it is in basically good shape and really looks fixable, I'd NEVER pay his asking price for a 'regular' car as sits... but a hearse???

what do you think.

(purposily didn't mention asking price as not to influance - wanna see how close you guys are)

1,900... maybe, I'd have to see it first. i'd really like to know what he wants though. probably 3,000 I'd imagine. Shouldn't be too hard to talk him down. Explain the amount of work you're going to have to put into "restoring" the car.

Comment

id say $1,000 at most in the shape it is in.

Comment

yeah, i'm with mac. $1000 i think is fair. hearses are usually cheaper than "regular" cars.

if it was fine and you could drive it home as-is, then i'd say maybe between $1500-$2000

Comment

In perfect shape, $2500.
          Door rust (check rockers and quarters) -$500
          Exhaust rusted enough to drop to floor? -$500
          Brake system needs all lines replaced and everyting else rebuilt? -$500
          Needs new (used) tires to roll? -$150

In my opinion, it's worth around $850...

Comment

Offer him $500 and see what happens....if he says no....then say it again in a week. I bet you get it for $500, lol.

Comment

Offered $900 as is, even talked $1200... won't consider any lower than $1500.
              While 'IF' I knew for sure that was all it needed - that's one thing, but for a car I can't even drive around the parking lot - I think 15 is a bit of a stretch.
              Looks like it will sit a little longer.

Comment

Throw up 1200 cash in his face instead of just offering 1200 maybe that will work or do what you're already doing and play the waiting game another month or so ,letting him stew about not taking the 1200. Than call back and offer him 1000 instead and see if he won't take the 1200 than. Me personally, I don't consider this lowballing if the car isn't worth the asking price.

Comment

IT IS A BUICK!!!!! offer the guy $500 bucks and be done with it , it isn't worth it!!!! People here laugh at those !!!! IF IT ISN'T A CLASSIC,or a Caddy save your money...
                  I am sure you BUICK people will be mad , but ohhh well someone has to talk some since into you

Comment

Hey Flymann, if you like the car buy it. You're not buying the car for anyone but yourself. Don't let some dumbass tell you what you like and what you should own, thats why everyone's here and not in the pcs.

Comment

Ok your right in that since , if you like the car then buy it. I am just saying that it is a 87 Buick. It is not worth a whole lot in vaule. If it was a 50's or 60's or something with style to it then I would be telling you to go for it. But when it comes down to it , it is still a late model Buick...
                      this is my two cents worth.
                      ~E~

Comment

But I like my '82 Buick!
                        I couldn't care less the value, just as it means something to me. But I guess that's the whole point of what was said. Besides, I know quite a few people who own Buicks, and most of 'em will tell ya that they are good cars.

As for my advice to Flyman, I'd only get it if you know you'll have the time and money to fix it. You don't want a car that will be sitting around not doing anything, even if you do get it for a good price. But hey, at least you know what's wrong with it. I can tell you that many people have bought cars not knowing what is wrong with it at all until it's too late.

Comment

buicks are good cars, plus they are cheaper on gas.

Comment

Thanks Guys - just a couple notes...
                            Actually, the coach was for someone else, not me. I kinda was recruited to look at it due to the fact I'm one of the few in the area messing with Hearses and he wanted me to check it out.
                            While I'm FAR from anykind of hearse 'expert', He said I'm the best he's got.

Like I said, as the car sits, don't think it's worth what was being asked - just wanted some input that kind of confirms my feelings... including the Buick thing - was sorta thinking the same thing in 'general' terms (no offence to anyone. I have nothing against Buick, though I will say my (basically) same year Caddy has much better styling - LOL. It does have the exact motor as my caddy, so guess it can't be all THAT bad - LOL)

We figured a quick guess of $700 - $1000 (not to mention time - the 2 things I REALLY HATE doing is break lines and exhaust) just to get it road worthy, and the car is NOT a $2500 car for 'just' a runner.

This is also not to mention anything else that may have been missed (like front end, drive train, tranny, etc.) because I couldn't roll it.

The car isn't THAT great - now time to see what the seller does.

Thanks again folks
                            Last edited by Flymanj3; 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM.

Comment

good luck to your friend. if you cant move it, it's not worth anymore than $500.00.

Comment

Working...
                              X