No announcement yet.

an intro: my '60 Crown saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge dose of gratitude to Undertak8184 for relaying info on this coach last Wednesday night. He happened to see an unrelated post made that same day and brought it to my attention. It became readily apparent that this was the same coach in my original post - #2. I then contacted the photographer and had a location in Alabama - but no number for the seller.

Thursday afternoon I headed out to cover the 742 mile distance with a fistful of cash. About 500 miles in, the photographer, Jeremy, called with the seller's number. Sweet! Luck on my side, I phoned the seller. 'Twas pertinent to ask him not to shoot me if I accidentally awakened him poking around at 2am, my estimated time of arrival...

Google mapping kicks ass. There it was!

Same wheels. Same window graphics. Same coach. Little crustier. (Upon scrutinizing the original photo, looks like the graphics were present and artistically covered. Not too shabby for '98.) At this point I decide to avoid police, catch some sleep, and return at day break for a closer inspection. Know that old adage? "Buy a car in the dark and you'll sell that car in the dark."

Amped, I didn't sleep much. Lay of the land prohibited some epic 'sun rising over the Crown' shot. First look:

Already convinced that it wasn't as bad as it looks, I liked the idea of busting out Krylon even before transporting back to Texas. Tell me that you wouldn't have laughed seeing someone with German fat caps covering these horrid '80s pajamas in the parking lot of Home Depot.

Then I started opening doors. Uh oh.

Floor? GONE. Whole thing. Flinstone front, Swiss cheese middle, missing rear.

Can't figure out how the dash was turned turquoise exactly. Notice the Ghostbusters key fob in the floor console. Classy.

Who even knows what the seat/console unit is out of.

Yep. Pink upholstery carried throughout - doors and headliner too. Well, what was left of the headliner after going around this awesome sunroof just ahead of the Crown.

Sills were actually solid. I think those were holding the coach together. Only the passenger side rear door was stuck (lock issue) - the rest opened easily and closed solidly. Hood was rusted shut. Couldn't pop it. Only 57k original miles clocked. (When did it go so wrong???) Under the rear aluminum extruded covers the quarters were rotted crap. Actual wheel arches? Nonexistent.

Best not to even make an offer. I feel that this is sadly little more than a rolling shell, even given the rarity. There was a large crack in the rear window surround. Pot metal isn't easy to repair. Tough calling this a good parts vehicle. In fact, the rusting pair of '59 Crowns I saw are more restorable than this '60.

One parting shot and I was back on the road by 6:45 to finish up 1660 miles, after a secondary stop.

May not have bought my elusive '60 but the trip was fun nonetheless. Made it back just in time for the Lone Star Round Up. Procar pics from there upcoming. My hunt continues.
    Last edited by 60Crown; 04-20-2009, 01:08 AM.

Comment

That sucks that the coach was worse for wear - I know it is hard being so close yet it's not the right one. How much was he wanting for it?

Comment

First number belongs to the person that actually owns this. I have not reached anyone at this number. Second number is the house where it sits, property owner's name is also Jeremy. Very nice man. The owner lives elsewhere. With the sign so faded and (normally) folded over, looks like this has sit for quite some time. Jeremy and his wife assume about a year.

This Crown is located about 20 miles due South of Birmingham, right off 65.
        Last edited by 60Crown; 07-14-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

wow. i remember hearing about this coach for sale 8-10 years ago. atti you should go for that black 60 crown thats out this way. it is definitely the nicest out of the few that ive seen for sale.

Comment

The '57 has new rear suspension now. Rear floor fabrication/replacement is almost finished. While at it, front floors are being replaced. Short pans just arrived. A few minutes in Photoshop and I'm starting to imagine...making a Superior 'prototype'.

Comment

Awesome.

Is this the one you're bringing to Hearse Con?

Comment

I like the brick parking brake in the photo.... adds a nice touch.

T.H.
                Attached Files

Comment

Now that looks like a sweet 57!

Comment

Well, I *finally* landed one. It isn't a limo style but may end up as such. Time for parts chasing! Thank gawd this Crown isn't rusty~

Comment

Congrats Atti! Was wondering when the "official" announcement would come that you found your Crown. Looking foreward to a photo set when you get it home. Sometimes persistence pays off in the quest for something so elusive!

Comment

Originally posted by ThatAssholeStraycat View Post
                        I bought a 1960 S&S park row about 5 years ago that had been sitting in a body shop parking lot for years. After several years of asking, leaving phoner numbers and being told " not for sale", i get a call saying "bring 500 bucks and a carberator with you and it's yours". well, short story 2 hours later i was driving it home with bad brakes and not enough gas in the tank, but hey, i made it. Come to find out the car was owned by the shriners,(cringes) and they were going to cut the top off the car and do that horrible thing they do to cars, and were having a christmas gathering of some sort and needed funding, well, they got the cash they needed and i saved a coach.

I sold the car to a guy north of blueridge Ga. when i couldnt afford to treat it like it needed to be treated. The car now sits in a warehouse where they make "log cabin" style siding. From what i hear he hasnt done shit with it. You may be able to throw some dollar signs at him and get it fairly cheap.

i havent been by there in quite awhile, i plan on riding my new crotch rocket up the mountain roads some time real soon, if i can remember exactly how to get there.....( i know what dirt road it is off the highway, but i think there is a turn or 2 after that that i am unsure of") i'll look in on it.
                        i know where this car is .. if this is it it is for sale last i talked to the guy
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

if any one wants her let me know and i'll hook you guys up and its sitting out side at the guys house now

Comment

Hay man total congrats on the find, i know you have been looking for a long time !!!!!!!!!!!
                          TOTALLY KICK ASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

For every king a crown!! The resto begins.......

Comment

You've been all over hell this week. How much soap did you bring with you? LOL. I'm getting closer to my elusive fenders also.

Comment

Working...
                              X