I have a question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question?

I am the only one that couldn't give a shit about 59 Cadillac Hearses? I have had several 59 Cadillacs and one of which was a hearse and I just don't get it. I don't see the attraction to them. The fins are cool but I think the rest of the design falls on its face. Don't get me wrong a 59 drop top is a sexy car but I don't see why it is the quintessential vehicle for hearse people. Just being unimaginative I think a 58 is a much better looking hearse. They look evil.

But if you really want to impress me show up with some shit no one sees and every member in the PCS doesn't have in their driveway. Open a fucking book and see all the shit that was produced. How about a fucking Edsel hearse. Or a carved panel Packard. I see them rotting all the time and no one gives them a second look. I watched a 54 Henney Packard die a slow death, it sat on the side of the road for sale for years before a biker bought it then cut up into a motorcycle hauler. He wouldn't sell it to me but how many people passed on the car before? I kept up with the car and after the top was removed rust set in and the car was scrapped a few years latter. Less than 50 were built and it was an awesome coach! How about one of my Plymouth buddys that helped cut up a rust free 58 Plymouth Ambulance for parts to fix a Suburbon wagon! Everyone wants a Christine....there you go, the best of both worlds. They found it on the internet so why wouldn't a hearse guy pay $500 for an awesome coach? There was a complete 66 that was crushed at a local junkyard several years back. I was to late to buy it. There is a very very nice 61 Flxible in a Junkyard in one of the Northern states as of last year according to an abandoned car book I bought. The fucker looks pristine and is described as having a little rust starting in the rear door. Why is it in a junk yard? I went to a car show in Charlotte last year and there was a 38 Flxible Buick Hearse in for sale as a parts car. I mean Fuck, it needed a a lot of work but the body was good and it was cheap and complete. No one (even the guy selling it) knew what it was all anyone was talking about was how nice the fender was or the door or what ever they needed for there coupe. Where were the hearse people for these cars? To busy sticking there nose in the air waiting on a nice 59 Caddy for $1500?

I swear the next time some one stops me at the gas station and coments on my hearse than asks where he can get a 59, I am going to punch him in the fucking jaw!

People need to open their fucking eyes and see what is out there. I have four odd balls and can't buy any more. I have more Flxibles in my yard than most dealers had in 1960. Am I the only one that thinks outside the box?
    Last edited by 60Buick; 05-01-2009, 12:14 AM.

How about a fucking Edsel hearse. Or a carved panel Packard. I see them rotting all the time and no one gives them a second look.
    I'd give my left one for a carved-panel coach! Don't see the'59 obsession here either. They're cool but I like lots of other body style better. I'm going after another coach in the morning (more on that later) but I want the 3rd addition to be a very old carved-panel hearse, done resto-rod style.

Comment

personally the only good '59 caddy is one that has been turned into a couch,desk or fed to the crusher or for that matter shredded

Comment

Personally I really don't get it either but, WTF if you like them, you like them... It's America you can do that... for now anyway...

Comment

I personally would love to have a non-Cadillac hearse or ambulance. I think some people want a 59 because of Ecto-1. That's the only time some people have seen a pro car, other than at a funeral.

Comment

I think '59s are cool, but they're definately not my favorites. Caddy's are nice, but I personally love Buick hearses more. Now what I would really love to see someone with one of those Japanese pagoda styled hearses. Somewhere, someone here has to have one of those in America, and I would kill to see it in person.

Comment

I agree and disagree with this one.

I think for me it was the fact that it was the most excess available in hearse form for all time, and I'm a dude who values his excess. The fin is just un-fucking-beatable and I dig the long, low tops. If one were to come along for a decent price, I'd get it, but I wouldn't pay tens of thousands just to get ANY hearse, because I am still stuck in the days where hearses were unwanted used cars that went for $500. The last 2 hearses I bought I paid $800 each, not so much because I am a lucky bastard, but more because I waited it out until there was a killer deal.

I bought Alexi in that price range and she had been for sale in South Dakota for a couple of years and no one would shell out the money to get her, which just amazed me.

That being said, 59 isn't my favorite, I prefer 1967 and 1968 Superiors as well as 1972, 72 and 73 Superiors. I also really dig the early 60's Buicks, but there's some punk out there buying all of those up! *Ahem.

As for the Packards...thing about those is, Packard was a second rate Cadillac when it came out, a few decades hasn't changed that, now it's just an old second rate Cadillac. Then again, I think everything from that era looks like a truck, I feel that cars in general didn't get good until they got low and wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
                I personally would love to have a non-Cadillac hearse or ambulance. I think some people want a 59 because of Ecto-1. That's the only time some people have seen a pro car, other than at a funeral.
                I'd have to agree with that statement. I guess you could say I'm one of the '59 nuthuggers, but simply because I desire to make my own tribute car using that year only. Other than that, I could care less about them. I've always wanted a hearse, and it really didn't matter myself and a couple friends were going to make a hearse club. Unfortunately, that never materialized...Eventually I might buy one and make it into some sinister looking ride. Who knows...

Comment

I agree. My 59 was a beautiful car. But once I had one, and was able to drive it all over the place, it lost it's "aura" . And reflecting back on my 60 S&S, I liked the 60 much better. To be honest I like the Impala better than I did the 59. First off I can buy the parts from any parts store, and summit racing can deliver stuff to my door. I DO NOT miss hunting ebay every night just trying to find 1 piece of trim, or a lens for the dome light, and so on. Plus that shit is way over priced.

Comment

I always thought people wanted them because they were so rare but after I bought my 1966 Olds CB Seville I found out that there were only 9 known to exist. Mine was listed as crushed in 1986. I still can't get a title here because the DMV said that the car doesn't exist. Richard has mentioned several times how rare the 60 Buicks are so now I realy don't get the 59 thing. If I had the Cadi of my choice I would love to get a 62 Superior.

Comment

Honestly it's a icon and marketing thing. Everywhere you go and see a "oldies" reference, or an old sign, or a promotion for a car show or a "trip down memory lane on rt 66" commercial, you see the 57 chevy bel air, the 50's model corvettes, and the 59 cadillac.And you see ALOT of 57 chevys around. And people figure they will never own a 50's vette, ( majority would be correct) so they look at the 59 caddy as being that semi rare peice of big finned nostalgia. so it kind of sticks these things in peoples minds. I paid alot for my 59. a hell of alot more than i should have, just to find out it wasnt as cool as i thought it was going to be.

Comment

59 Cadillac:
                        The 57 Chevy of Cadillacs...

Comment

Working...
                        X