found a 1940 packard service car..need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found a 1940 packard service car..need info

i found this 1940 packard nenney service car and it took me years to buy it.any idea on production numbers for a sweet car like this?jim
    Attached Files

Sweet!!!

Comment

You could probly count 'em on one hand, and not use all your fingers!
      Sweet Jesus!, That is COOL!!!!

Comment

Henney built a total of 1200 professional cars this year. These include the Landaulet, Flower Car, Limousine coach, Ambulance and service car. Generally the service car was the least produced of all models, so you could surmise less than 200...

Very nice aquisition!

Comment

Larry, I don't have my black book in front of me. Was Henney still exclusively building on the Packard chassis by 1940?

Either way, I strongly think service car production was a minute fraction of overall production - especially given the exclusivity of Packard.

edit: Henneybuilt on Packard exclusively from '38-'54. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/henney/henney.htm
          Last edited by 60Crown; 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM. Reason: documentation

Comment

and i thought it was just a hearse....thanks for the knowledge.

Comment

My first coach was a 38 Packard. Give me a few days and I'll dig up the number for the Packard guru in Oakland(he bought mine).

Comment

do you know where to find the vin or manufacturers numbers?

Comment

According to this Packard site it is on the cowl tag as an eight or nine didgit number with a hyphen in the middle XXXX-XXXX(X). Also, it is a LONG shot, but apparently the build sheet was put on top of the glove box insert...

Comment

Car is badass for sure! It's exciting seeing this new knowledge coming out.

Stodd - you got pics of your first one?

Comment

outstanding

The simplicity of the body and the art deco styling makes this one of the most outstanding service cars I have seen in years. I've always regretted getting rid of our '55 Chevy service car. Didn't know then how rare service cars were. Great save.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
                        Stodd - you got pics of your first one?
                        I wish. It was a basket case that never saw pavement while I had it, but the Packard guy, I'm sure he's done restoring it by now. I bet he has pics of what it looked like when I sold it to him. I'll be sure to ask once I find his info...

Comment

Thomas A. McPherson just released a new book called The Henney Motor Company a complete history. I got mine on Overstock.com for less than 50.00 it lists for 79.95.
                          This book is a must have for your car. There is a picture of it on page 153 with this caption:" Offering maximum versatility combined with the prestige of the Packard image, the model 4195 Service Car was mounted on the Packard 1901-A commercial chassis and had a retail price of 2,420.00 More discriminating morticians could opt for Henney's Model 14195 Service Car based on the Super Eight 1903-A commercial chassis. Although looking quite similar, this up-scale version sold for 2,835.00 " The picture is your car exactly as shown when new. Hope you find your data plate.

Comment

got the henney home today.will start cleaning out the interior and checking for bad stuff.so far there is no rust except in the spare tire well at the bottom.can be fixed easily. found all the dash pieces in a box in the rear,ash tray,lighter etc.

Comment

Nice find man! Love that "art-deco" around the door hinges

Comment

Working...
                              X