No announcement yet.

Buying a 1969 Cadillac hearse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the new find! You got a killer deal on it for sure.

Comment

$1,600. and runs is usually a good deal to begin with. But a 69 that runs and has a body that looks to be in half way decent shape?

You did just fine.

Comment

That is a fucking hot car! I am a big fan of the slanted C Pillars on the doors, very nice!

If you need an exhaust, go for a Flowmaster. They boost performance, sound good and throaty (without sounding too loud, or like Cherrybombs, busted) they will boost your gas mileage a little and they have a decent amount of back pressure. The extra few bucks will be WELL worth it, I promise.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I found her because of this site, and I'm sure that when I'm getting my hands dirty restoring her, I'll have even more questions. But right now, I'm like a five-year-old waiting for Christmas morning.

And I'll definately get a Flowmaster as soon as I can; her exhaust is the first thing to be fixed, provided the engine is in good repair.

Comment

Great purchase!!
            The "hunch back" is the best look imo.
            She looks a lot like my 70 when I brought it home. 3 years later...........anyway.
            Be sure to buy a FACTORY repair manual. I found mine on e-bay.

The only thing that will hit you like a ton of bricks is when you peel back the vinyl roof. NO ONE has ever been happy with what they find.

Outside of that, there are several member that can and will offer excellent advice. We are at your service.

Comment

I will buy a repair manual as soon as I have the car in my possession -- and my driveway. I can't wait to see my neighbors' expressions as they drive by, seeing as I live in the cheapest house in an otherwise 'rich' development.

And I'm glad I have you folks for help! I remember Morella advising someone else about peeling back the vinyl -- I laughed when she said rust, dead woman's panties, the whole shebang, and I hope I find -something- interesting!

But I am definately looking forward to restoring her, and taking a lot of pictures.

Comment

shop manuals

Looks like Stood might still have 70 shop manual. For 25 bucks, I dont think You can go wrong, I know I didnt. By the way, the origional cost a whopping $6.50, talk about inflation, lol.

Comment

Would a '70 shop manual work for the '69? There's two original shop manuals on eBay, one for $59 and one for $46 -- but I'd definately buy Stodd's if the '70 manual would work for the '69.

Comment

manual

I got the 71 for My 72. Looks like a lot of the same info, the rest I can figure out. Works for Me. I guess its up to You. Good luck what ever You decide.

Comment

I PM'd him. I hope it works, because I'm not good on working on cars (yet). But I am damned determined to be.

Comment

Cadillac had a habit of changing things about every 2 years, so I think you'll be safe with the 70 manual...

Comment

Sadly, he sold it, but there's always eBay.

Comment

If the rear brakes don't work, be sure to increase your following distance so that you don't dent the front bumper when you run into a French car and fold it up like an accordion. Yours looks a lot better than mine did when I got it for $1300, and your windscreen looks OK, so you're $900 ahead of me there.

It looks like you got a deal. Be sure to use premium gas. Cadillacs before 1971 had high compression, not to mention that gas seems to lose its octane rating and cause pinging after the car has sat. Some people set the timing back and run regular, but you lose power and efficiency by doing that. A couple of ounces of Stabil per tank, available almost anywhere, may help as well, and you should always put it in your tank if the car is going to have the same gas in it for more than a few months.

-denise

Comment

Haha, yeah. I don't wanna hit anyone on the way home, because then they will.. uhm.. end up in the back of a hearse, for good reason. xD

I'm going to tune her up and make sure she runs fine, and then fill her tank -- and I never knew that, but I'll be sure to use premium.

And glad to know she looks in good shape; I'm buying her regardless. I'm not getting any younger and neither is she, so I'm going to keep her from the crusher for another forty years.

Comment

but I'd definately buy Stodd's if the '70 manual would work for the '69.
                                The 70 manual would be damn close as they are basically the same vehicle..... that's why I bought STODD's 70 manual.

Comment

Working...
                                X