siren wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siren wiring

I just picked up a Universal siren, model no sa-1R. It has a relay on the side with 2 wire posts. Can someone tell me how to wire this so I dont fry my little siren. One wire is a large red wire, while the other is a smaller white wire. Both wires run into the motor.

Please dont tell me I bought a kiddie siren, cause I already found out while looking for a wiring diagran. Live & learn.

i got a siren from JC Whitney. i forget exactly how i ran the wiring. if it is meant to handle a 12 volt system i don't see any chance of frying it.

just throw some wires in there and put in a switch.

Comment

Without seeing what you have...
      A relay is just used to keep you from running a long power wire and risking a voltage drop. So you run a shorter larger guage power wire and then you can use a smaller switched signal wire to close the relay.

So, with this being said I would guess that the large red wire would run straight to the battery while the white wire would run also to a 12 volt source broken by a switch. The Siren will most likely ground itself when you mount it, so be sure you mount the siren in such a way that will be attached to a metal surface.

Comment

I just went for it, plugged the large red wire to a hot feed and grounded the smaller while wire. Sounds great!. Not the large wail of the other sirens, but still a loud wail that climbs up and drops off when power is removed. The extra dimmer switch on the floor turned out to be the foot control that the ground to the siren. The ground wire ran to the mount panel behind the grill.

Comment

Atta boy... get after it....Think of voltage in a circuit as smoke.....if all the smoke comes out..... it doesn't work anymore.... HEHHEHEHEH.....

Comment

Nothing wrong with a small siren. But you will get siren envy and a small one will leave you wanting.

I started small.

Not enough so I put this big bitch under the hood and run them both for a loud as fuck duel tone effect. The only reason a "Q" ain't there is it won't fit.

Comment

Working...
            X