Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Cadillac S&S Victoria

Hello everyone,

My name is Jeff and I am from Paragould, Arkansas....basically almost middle of nowhere farmland near the Missouri and Tennessee state line (northeast ar). I am a member of the Cadillac-LaSalle club, and had posted my endeavor on the PCS boards, but didn't realize the rep they had. There are a few extremely nice guys over there, but the biggest impression I got was that of non-interest and apathy. Anyways, about 8 years ago I purchased a 1955 S&S Victoria coach in the hopes of restoring it. At the time, it was just not financially feasible for me, but I had to have it. I was tempted along the way to sell it and had a guy interested that wanted to buy it on payments; I was only asking 400.00 for it and I felt if he needed to make payments on 400.00 that he didn't need the coach. I also toyed with parting it and then scrapping the hull, but I soon saw the error of my ways and decided to embark on bringing her back. I know she is extremely rough, but that's what improper storage will do, but I also blame it on the fact that it was last registered in northern missouri(a big salt state). Unfortunately the Missouri inspection tag is too far gone to see the last year of inspection, but I'd be comfortable in saying the car has not seen the road in, at least, 30 years..maybe more. All of the hard to find parts are there, save for the landau bars and the rear loading door glass was shattered when a 60 foot tree fell within 6 feet of the car during the ice storm this past winter. All of the chrome trim parts you see missing, I removed myself, as well as, all the exterior S&S badging. I have purchased all of the suspension components, brake, and chassis parts to get everything back in tip top shape, and then will locate a cadillac 331 engine and trans to have built and fitted, as the gentleman I aquired it from purchased it solely to resale the drivetrain. I am going to tackle the interior panels myself with the original type marroon mohair with silver accent this winter, because the shop I will be using is unheated and I don't want to freeze my @^# off. After she's mechanically sound and the interior is done and new flat glass installed, I will start on the body and may work on it some during the other processes. It has a lot of rust, but nothing a nice donor sedan and some fabrication can't fix. The drivers front was hit and whatever hit it bounced down the two doors. The front one is by far the worst and will require a professional's touch...the rear door is a wide sweeping dent and will mostly pop out and then a quick smooth over with some filler will have it looking nice in short order. Rockers will be fabbed from using two sets(per side) for a sedan and then cutting them to length and welding them together. I'm hoping the fenderskirts for a 55 fleetwood will fit the opening for the coach, as these were extended skirts, and not the standard series 62 skirts. She will be painted in her original colors of Pecos Beige with a black top. The original top was Vicodec(convertible top style) material, but I may go back with a crinkle paint top. Here's where it gets fun...when she is complete I will have a set of Pecos Beige mid 50's era cars. I had no idea when I bought the hearse that it had been a factory beige car, but two years prior I purchased an extremely nice and mostly original pecos beige 56 sixty special. I'll have a complete mid-1950's funeral fleet.....or something similar. I know this is a super long post, but I wanted to let everyone know of my plans. This one will be as stock as possible and any modifications from that will be tastefully done....nothing too overwhelming. Okay a little info from the custom built tag:

model number 55 450
    mfgr's number 32118
    serial 558674855
    custom built for culbertson mortuary of wichita kansas

cowl tag(cadillac chassis tag from gen motor corp):

style 55-80S
    body 192
    the stamp 32118 in the Trim No. field

Some pics of my coach, as well as, one picture of my 56, which will show the color that the coach will be painted.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff1956; 10-04-2009, 01:28 AM.

hell of a project. Wish you luck in your assembly

Comment

That is a hell of a project, but we are all about those here - so good luck!

If you need any help, guidance, wisdom or a smartass comment - feel free to ask

Comment

Glad you found your way over to the NHAA, i'd talked to you over on the LaSalle website & hope you like it here! Your coach is definitely in need of alot of attention, but after seeing your '56 sedan it's kinda obvious that you know what you're doing even if the sedan was a nice car already when you bought it. Good luck with the resto & keep us updated...

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I've always had high hopes of bringing this one back from the brink, but I really let her go too long and so now I will have extra work, but I take total blame. Money is tight, so I am forced to do most of the work myself. The 56 Fleetwood was not my project, I purchased it with most all of the work already done. My father and I did rebuild a salty, 1956 Cadillac Sedan De Ville and it was a fine ride( chantilly marroon and alpine white)...some would say we did not rebuild it to the highest standard because after we cut out the bad sheetmetal..we had fiberglass panels fabbed and fitted in their place, I'm not talking bondo, but actual fiberglass. With the humidity we have here it turns those lovely metal patch panels into rust bubbles in short order. My current 56 was a rust free western car when I brought it here, now ten years later, it has a few smaller bubbles that would not have been present had it not been here in the extremely humid climate. Don't cringe, but that's exactly what I will do with some of the issues on the body of the hearse, that way I do not have to worry about the rust issues rearing it's ugly head again. I know the coach will receive mixed reviews around my area. The few I've talked to think it would be neat, so we shall see. By summer of next year it will be on the road again most likely and that's a scary thought!

Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff, spoke with you on the cad/la salle site. Just for your info.....upon loading my 55 Cadillac Meteor combo on a trailer and towing it 6 hours from Hawthorne Nevada to Ceres CA I stopped a total of 4 times. At each stop, I literally had people run or really move fast to get over to the car to view and ask questions. At least, out here in the west, people are really interested in these fine old coaches!
            Brett

Comment

Big project - awesome coach!

Comment

I love it.

Mine wasn't much better when I started.

Comment

Working...
                X