Going ambelwagon nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going ambelwagon nuts?

I bought my 57 mercury ambelwagon a few years back and put her in storage. Well with the house rebuild she got put on the back burner. Well Friday I towed her out and I was thinking of putting her in the front yard and doing up a Halloween display with her. She is stored in a garage nearby so it was nothing to pull her over. You can search my other posts to find out more about her. Well it only took a few hours for a knock at the door and that question “is the hearse for sale? So first I explained it is an ambelwagon and that it was not for sale. Well there were a few more inquires, but the one that stood out was a gentleman around my age actually called it by its rightful name. Well we struck up a conversation and he had heard about in one of the posting boards and the conversation lead on to a full look-over of the car. I broke out all the paperwork that went with it and even hooked up the battery to turn it over. Other than parking it I have done nothing to it and well just don’t have the time. The motor turns freely and everything but the sirens works. The solenoid hits, but it doesn’t turn. It worked when parked. Well to skip all the bla-bla he made me an offer, but I just thought it was yes odd that what he offered was more than five times than what I paid for it. Are these things truly worth that kind of money? The offer was over $5000, but I just did not want to let it go, but that would buy a nice combo or at least pay off a few bills. Your thoughts. I did have a fellow hearse friend from out east check it out before this.

I adhere to 2 main philosophies with vintage iron:

Always buy what you want to keep for yourself.

Sell when you have a buyer.

It should come down to what you're more passionate about - the Ambelwagon or another coach. Good luck either way.

Comment

I thought the rightful name was a combination hearse. I don't think I've ever heard it called an "ambelwagon" before. Also wouldn't it be "ambulwagon" if so?

18 hits on google for your term, 9 hits for the way I "think" it should be spelled, looks like I'm wrong lol.

Also I'd have taken the money. In this economy you can find another nicer combination that will run better, but finding another fool (who is easily parted with his money) isn't easy at all. Then again ask what you want to really part with it (say $8,000) and get TWO hearses! I also shouldn't call him a fool if he can actually afford to pay that and take care of it.

Well did you get his info? Hopefully you made a new friend out of the deal, which is worth more than money usually.

Comment

Honestly I had never heard of an ambelwagon
        until I came across this one. Yes I did get his information and I expect he will stop again. It was nice to find someone who knew what the car was instead of calling it a station-wagon which truthfully that is what it started life as. As far as selling it goes I just don’t think I will because when it goes back into storage it is out of sight, out of mind. One day I will build a garage to work on it and my long shelved Cherokee project.

Comment

Well another combination that runs better or two-three combinations that need work would be cool. But you like what you like and no one can fault you for that.

Comment

to be honest, I'd get one rough around the edges for cheap then use the rest to do whatever needs to be done with it. At least it would be an experience that you can make as soon as you get it, you know?

Comment

Working...
            X