Building A lowrider hearse, some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A lowrider hearse, some questions

Maybe some of you have seen my post before about my hydraulic setup in the casket for my hearse.. Well if not Im putting hydros on my 84 caddy hearse. I am running 2 hydro pumps and 4 group 31 Marine batteries, so it does have some weight. In lowriding like this its best to weld the pump/batt rack to the frame rails. and in this case I would have to ruin parts of my wood table area and possibly remove the casket to make it work.... But I want to keep it as origanal as possible and cut up the least I can and still have the casket and the setup. So my question is do you think i would be better off puttin this weight in the middle area behind the divider (first pic) I could remove these 2 rollers and make up somthing to mount it all there so I can put it all back when done... Or I can move the casket all the way forward and mount everything towards the ass end (second pic) and remove these 2 and mount it there.. My main concern is this much weight being right on the floor so which area would be best to disribute it so my body and frame wont have that much stress and start cracking the body more than it already is, Damn Eureaka. Lol, any pointers will help, Thanks

Hearse project 2010 029.jpg

Hearse project 2010 027.jpg

Hearse project 2010 028.jpg

84 Hearse and emi 043.jpg

yeah you know i have cracks in my eureka, too. apparently they used a lot of body filler putting those things together. i swear i've ground through like a half-inch of that stuff in one spot before.

Comment

Did you ever check to see if you can fit them inside the rear quarters, (behind the fender wells, by the back door)? That's where my new tanks are going, and there is a ton of room in there, and no mods to the interior or exterior at all. I have enough room to get a 5 gallon tank and a large compressor in each side. It's just wasted space.

Comment

This guy did a pretty interesting hidden install.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I actually know this person. He is a former friend. All the pictures of the hearse with hydraulics are old pictures. There is no floor in the casket compartment. He have a homemade casket that comes out and drags. The back door is setup so he can open it while he is driving. The casket is on rails and has a wrench hooked to the front to slide it in and out, so he can drag the casket. The hearse has a lot of potential, but the body needs work.

Comment

heres afew ways Im thinking of setting it up, keep in mind the stuff is just thrown in there to get an idea.
            Hearse project 2010 106.jpg

Hearse project 2010 109.jpg

and heres where the rear cylinder holes end up, Right where I was hoping

Hearse project 2010 053.jpg

Hearse project 2010 059.jpg

Comment

I have thought about this and surprised no one mentioned it. I know under some hearse floors there is empty space, in front of the rear door. The only thing is, you will have to remove the floor or at least cut it. I have seen some hearses that had a "door" or "doors" in the floor so the wasted space could be used. That way you could put the hydraulics under the floor and not be seen. Some hearses have the gas tank under the floor so, this wouldn't help. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Well, to me it only makes sense to cut out a large access hole in the front of the floor, not the rear. The rear area under that floor is very shallow and there's a gas tank recessed there too. The area @ the front is the deepest & you can cut out a nice square hole, make your tray for the batteries & pumps, put it down in that hole, then screw couple strips of metal to the bottom of the existing floor (making a lip) so when you place the floor panel back in, it has something to sit flush on. Buy something to trim the edges of the opening & the panel so it looks nice & still have full access to your components. Then all you have to sort out is where to put your spare tire!

Comment

My 70 had plenty of room just behind the front seat where the spare tire was. (before the transformation)

I'm not knocking hydros at all, but wouldn't air be a little easier? A hearse is not the kind of car you want to hop anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                    I'm not knocking hydros at all, but wouldn't air be a little easier? A hearse is not the kind of car you want to hop anyway.
                    It's an "Air vs Oil" thing, kinda like Ford or Chevy, lol.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.... I like both air and hydros, basically any adjustable suspension, I just got hooked on juice. and as for putting stuff under the empty compartments that was my main spot till I realised that the tops of the terminals on my batteries will be only an inch away from touching the floor and steel braces. And I need kinda easy access for charging and that would be a pain. and as I had stated before about welding to the frame etc. Im gonna pass on that to avoid messin up the wood floor, so like in the pics where I have the stuff laying I removed some of the rollers to have afew spots to screw stuff down to in those areas so that I can cover the holes back up with the rollers when I put it back to stock. I kinda figured a way for either front or rear mount to limit me drilling into the floor and use areas that can be covered, damn now I wish this hearse wasnt so nice inside I woulda just hacked it up and been done, but its too decent to screw up. Will keep ya posted

Comment

Can't wait to see it all done. Should be cool.

I love draggin the hell out of mine.

Fortunately, that was one of the cool things about mine being so stripped and totally trashed when I got it, I didn't have to make that choice to cut up a nice car or not. (Mine was ready for the crusher, lol)

Comment

Started gettin into it a lil the other day

Hearse project 2010 021.jpg

Hearse project 2010 020.jpg

Hearse project 2010 022.jpg

Hearse project 2010 023.jpg

Hearse project 2010 062.jpg

Hearse project 2010 088.jpg

Hearse project 2010 081.jpg

just a moch up almost ready to start welding, yay......
                          Hearse project 2010 105.jpg

Comment

Excellent, power balls/uni balls, (whatever the cool kids are calling them these days, lol).

Comment

Damn, couldnt make up my mind, So I went this way with the setup..... Pumps are mounted, battery rack just sittin there (not done) but to see how it all fits. I think it'll look good when done.

Hearse project 2010 114.jpg

Hearse project 2010 117.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X