Not Gold Plating.........?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Gold Plating.........?

Still working on my 69' Superior 3-way,.........but my body man and I were discussing having various engine compartment parts, namely the hood hinges, sent out to have them coating in gold..........not REAL gold, and not gold plating.........but kind of a yellow gold.........we're not sure exactly sure what the process is called, or entails, we only know that sometimes cars of that era have parts that have a gold/yellow color........like the hinges and master cylinder parts............paint looks cheezy, so we want to have them sent out to be done correctly.........but can't figure out what to look/ask for............so...........anyone know what we're looking for?
    What its called, and who does it?

Sincerely
    ----------kitkong

Sounds like you need a shop that can powder coat........colored enamel like finish.

Comment

Powder coating?
      Hmmmmm...........possible..........very possible indeed.................can't remember if I've ever seen the results of powder coating..............how does it look..overall?

----kitkong

Comment

Spoke to my body man........and although it was a good suggestion,....powder coating is not what we want..............what we're looking for is something like anodizing, but its not anodizing..........the end result gives off an appearance similar to looking at a chemical spill rainbow........if that makes any sense to anyone.

------kitkong

Comment

I do my own powder coating and I have some Gold color that Ive never used.

I can do a test piece and see what it looks like.

Comment

Wow.......can't quite picture that.....somebody will know.
            Powder coating turns out looking like the finish on a refridgerater.
            My brother did all the underhood brackets on his '66 Impala in black, and they turned out sweet!

Comment

It's called gold iridite plating. It's whats on the gold looking brake boosters. This is 1 site that may help, sorry don't know how to do links. detailplating.com may give You a start. My dragster is powdercoated, nice tough stuff, but not what You'r looking for.

Comment

I know what my body man is talking about,....that was just the best way for me to try and describe it.............with all do respect, its not powder coating.............had that done to my sill plates now that
                I think abut it.........

the process we're trying to describe is something like polishing bare metal, then as yiu look at it from different angles.......it gives off a rainbow effect while still giving the appearance of being something coated in a gold of sorts............I don't k now........I'm yammering at this point

------kitkong

Comment

Yellow zinc or cad plating

Yellow zinc plating, a guy named Bill Oldenburg in Galena IL 815-777-9204 does it, or autopartsplating.com, or detailplating.com they all offer different color finishes. Eastwood offers a 3 part paint kit to simulate the same effect if you want to try that route.

Comment

Originally posted by travlinman View Post
                    It's called gold iridite plating. It's whats on the gold looking brake boosters. This is 1 site that may help, sorry don't know how to do links. detailplating.com may give You a start. My dragster is powdercoated, nice tough stuff, but not what You'r looking for.
                    THANK YOU!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ambulanced View Post
                      Yellow zinc plating, a guy named Bill Oldenburg in Galena IL 815-777-9204 does it, or autopartsplating.com, or detailplating.com they all offer different color finishes. Eastwood offers a 3 part paint kit to simulate the same effect if you want to try that route.
                      EXCELLENT....THANK YOU!!!!

-----kitkong

Comment

Cadmium plating... Caswell makes a kit you can do it yourself...

Comment

James in addition to the aforementioned, there is a caustic goldish metal plating that is prevalent in airplanes. Seat brackets and small parts all have the same luster. The metal composition dipped has an effect on the color's outcome. It was heavily used on the Chopsmith's 2nd Biker Build Off attempt that I was present for. Name is evading me at the moment...

There is only paint on the sheetmetal of this bike. The rest was dipped in a large metal bucket (triple trees, sprockets, valve covers, taillight, tappet bases, transmission cover, etc.) or brushed (wheels) during the build.

Look closely and you can see different tones. That stuff was addictive.

Comment

Working...
                          X