more being crushed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more being crushed!

'Cept this time I was given a small heads up.

Known about this place for 2 years. Couple of cars I've even posted here before. Owner wouldn't sell anything before - now they're being scrapped come Nov. 2!

Here are a couple 'before' shots taken last year:

Guy named Slick and his wife owned this property. They separated over a year ago and he moved to FL while she stayed on the 20-something acres. House sold earlier this year; their divorce was also finalized. Slick maintained that he was moving all of the cars left behind to FL. New property owner has been patient with Slick. Now he realizes after many broken promises to move them that he's getting the runaround.

So, cedar posts are currently being cut, stumps cleared, property cleaned, and fenced to start running cattle.

It has little to do with money for the cars at this point. I was called by the new property owner Monday evening. He told me to come get what I need - mighty nice of him. Spent the last two days there and have made plans to return Saturday. Time is a considerable factor to save parts...and it is over an hour drive away.

The company under contract to clean the property up took care moving them around & placing together. After all that work had been done, an unknown entity sneaked onto the property and took a pent up grudge against Slick out with a backhoe! Makes more sense why a nice vintage Mercedes & a neat motorhome were smashed to nothing...

Some 'after' shots. Yes, these are the same two cars:

Grabbed most of the trim from this '57 limo. Jump seats are still in it but they may be too labor intensive to save. Steering wheel is really nice...now it's pointed into the seat though and there isn't room to pull the column.

Rollers and bier pin tracks came out. Few other decent bits on it.

Needed the corner glass and rear bumper off this '58 Superior. It fought me *every* step off the way!

Took some finagling but it finally let go of that back bumper...

May not even be platable but hey - still better to have one than not (missing entirely off my '58 flower car).

Success! Slightly embarrassed to admit how long it took to remove the corner glass...almost 5 hours. All 3 inner moldings are supposed to be taken out, which then reveal multiple small "L" brackets on 2 sides holding glass in. All of those brackets were frozen solid - and the vertical inner moldings too!

I can say with confidence that tediously cutting/chipping/removing ALL of the window rubber AND grout enables enough wiggle room to get the job done. Less than 1/16" left!

Now I'm going off the assumption that '57/'58 Superior rear corner glass is identical to '59/'60. They certainly look the same and Brady Smith is most positive (although I recall reading here someone stating otherwise). We'll see when the passenger side goes into my '60...

Managed to free up all the side doors. Made plans to return Saturday. Can't just leave jump seat, door panels, interior trim pieces, etc. for scrap.

Rollers and bier pin tracks in '58 are heavily corroded unfortunately. More than likely my last opportunity to take parts is this weekend. If any see something you need - post in this thread, PM, or email me pronto. Or call if you have my number. I'll do my best to accommodate. This stuff is cheap right now so get those requests in!

Comment

any beir pins and fold away jump seats? Also I doubt it but any 70s stuff or sirens?

Comment

There is a jump seat in the '58 Superior combination (see last pic), which also has corroded bier pin tracts - no pins.

Only other procars are the '47(?) Superior endloader and '57 limo.

Comment

It's too bad it's all so far away - I'd love to have that hood off the first one so I could meld part of it into my buick hood.

Comment

Those jump seats look like they're in a lot better condition than mine...I'll give you a call later Atti. As of this moment, we are planning to be in Austin Sunday night...

Comment

Pm sent....

Comment

BTW, that back door glass is easy to grab and worth a mint to the right person... it's curved in both directions!

Comment

Illegally picked further before returning by scrappers: complete quarters, all loose metal inside car, gurney rail, one removed roller, and my 3' crowbar accidentally left after dark. Grrr.

Removed dash pod, divider glass, remaining rollers and bier tracts, jump seat & partition hook, overhead compartment handle, turn signal lever, and misc. interior/exterior trim pieces. Some of these are for Cristin's '58! Certainly wanted all extruded aluminum window trim but far too much time was involved. Although interior door trim/handles appear complete, they are all corroded and not usable as-is. A parting shot:

"Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, where the good die young it’s all thy must" - Grandmaster Flash from Beat Street

Comment

Hi Atti,
                    Did the 58 have any corner window curtain rods?

Comment

That poor beast! What happened to the front clip? My poor beast is VERY grateful for it's parts though!

Comment

Working...
                      X