Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now that I have a hearse...

I have a few more questions.

1) I need a way to protect my vinyl until I can clean out my moms garage. What is the best way to get this done?

2) I am getting comprehensive coverage on my hearse, but I am undecided as to what kind of deductible I should get. Should I go for the $100 if I can afford it? Or is my hearse less likely to get keyed then I think it is? This is a daily driver, so it's going to be parked everywhere from the grocery store to the bar. I'm worried that $500 might not be very comforting.

3) I have a loose knob on one of my landau bars. I can twist any direction I want and it swivels around, but if I pull it doesn't come off. Would it be horrible to just glue the thing in for my own peace of mind? or is there a better way to fix it?

Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions, but you seem to have the best answers and I would hate the screw this thing up so early on in its life.

First, cover her if you can. Hail and storms are hell on a vinyl top. Mine has many holes from a hail storm. They get brittle over age, from sittin in the weather.
    The cover for the Landau bars should be screwed into a bolt, that holds the landau bars on. I wouldn't try glueing or RTVing it on, you may need to remove them, one day. Try unscrewing one of the other covers to see what you're dealing with. I use a pair of channel lock pliers, and easily grip the outside. Sometimes putting a rag over the cover first to keep from scratching it. I can get some pics if ya need them.
    As for insurance, it's totally up to you, and your finances. Mine was keyed, or a shopping cart ran down the side, less than a week after I got her. Wal-Mart assholes, in the Holy city, of Charleston, SC.
    Congrats on getting your hearse. Have fun with her. Post some pics.

Comment

1) A simple large tarp should do for a while. (get working on that garage)
      2) Kinda what you can afford in the lines of premiums - Not sure if Ins. would even cover getting keyed. Glass would be a bigger worry.
      3) My landau bars are held in by the end knobs, which are actually large bolts right threw the side. You may have to remove the inside panel to get to the nut (sounds like this to me, if the knob spins but doesn't come off... the nut is loose inside)

Comment

Originally posted by Flymanj3 View Post
        1) A simple large tarp should do for a while. (get working on that garage)
        2) Kinda what you can afford in the lines of premiums - Not sure if Ins. would even cover getting keyed. Glass would be a bigger worry.
        3) My landau bars are held in by the end knobs, which are actually large bolts right threw the side. You may have to remove the inside panel to get to the nut (sounds like this to me, if the knob spins but doesn't come off... the nut is loose inside)
        My mom and I have already started trying to convince my dad to move some of her stuff into one of his garages (thank god for divorce or my dad and I might not have enough garage space for all our cars) In the meantime I am going to borrow a large tarp from my dad.

Is there any kind of finish I can put on it that may help? my dad suggested armor all, but I think I read somewhere around here that it sucks.

I talked to the insurance company for a while today and what I am looking at should cover anything that falls under vandalism, theft, fire, or glass damage. I'm thinking it might be worth the higher premium as long as I can afford it.

I am going to have to ask my dad the help me take off the inside panel, because I'm terrified of losing a chunk of my hearse.

Comment

Insurance is a scam. If you're lucky you can find the glass at a junk yard for dirt cheap if it's standard glass. However it looks like commercial glass... Best thing you can do with it though is to park it away from other cars in areas where it's easily visible but get little foot traffic.

You should be fine. Mine spins and if it does fall out the worst that will happen is it swings down and is held on by the other side. The bar on the other side completely rotted out though and did just that. Couldn't get the nut off and when my dad tried to fix it broke part of the bolt off. It's now held in place with some industrial strength glue my auto body guy had. If you want I can give you his number as he eats breathes and shits cars. However he works out of a shop by 23 mile and I-94 (worth the drive though.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
            Is there any kind of finish I can put on it that may help? my dad suggested armor all, but I think I read somewhere around here that it sucks.
            I would try to stay away from armorall or tire dressings. I have always heard they they can cause vinyl to dry and crack prematurely. 3m has a product called "Vinyl and Leather Restorer" that works pretty good. Also, Mothers has a product called back to black that is good for vinyl that advertises a U/V protection component.

My S&S has the signature cobra vinyl top and I have the original care sheet that came with the car. S&S suggested using black shoe polish (the hard stuff in the little cans). I actually tried this once. Wow, you think waxing a big car is tough, this was much worse.

Comment

Tarps trap moisture and aren't the best option. Should be okay for a short term solution.

Ideally a cover protects while 'breathing'. Although I haven't looked in awhile to see if they're still stocked, try the el-cheapo route: SUV cover from Walmart.

Comment

If you have the cash, there are cover suppliers that will make a cover according to your specs. Look on the internet. Tarps are a drag, plus they scratch the paint. Tying it down with bungees and weights etc. gets old fast.

Comment

STAY AWAY from Armorall, tire dressings, or anything with silicone!! it wil dry out your top and cause it to crack. we use 303 protectant (http://www.303products.com/) and that stuff is awesome!! if you need something to tide you over before you can get 303 use a vinyl/leather treatment (like what you would use on leather seats) as eternal suggested.

Comment

Working...
                  X