So, anyone know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, anyone know...

what spot lights should be on my '58 Cadillac Superior Combination? It took some sleuthing, but it appears as though my car never had "Cadillac" mirrors installed, but instead had spot lights with the mirrors on the back of the light housing. I see lots of Unity and Guide spots on Ebay... anyone have a clue as to what brand and model may have been stock on my coach?

Cheers!
    Christin

PS - I'll post a pic tomorrow afternoon of the mounting holes...

Maybe something like this??

Comment

I've been looking at those on squarish ones on Ebay and they are all listed as fitting Ford models... Can anyone tell me otherwise? I'm currently looking at this one:

I seem to remember my 63 Pontiac Ambulance having a similar model... with a red bulb!

Comment

So, it would appear that the car had a driver side non remote mirror at some point, the passenger did not. Here are the pics:
        SDC10893.jpgSDC10895.jpgSDC10892.jpgSDC10896.jpgSDC10894.jpg
        Anyone recognize that three hole pattern?

Comment

This pic shows a very similar car with the correct spot lights. Can anyone guess what make and model are on this car?hurst.jpg

Comment

I think these may be the right brackets... and they're Unity! The plot thickens...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/196O-...item45f760c55e

Comment

I have a big box FULL of old spotlights, most are Unity. One is very similar to the one pictured above with a mirror made in the back of it. They all vary in condition from poor to great, and some are just for parts. Will post some pictures in the next couple days if you are interested, they are all for sale.
              I bought them all last summer from an old lady whose husband collected them & passed away, she would only sell the whole box.

Comment

9_21_08 044.jpg
                I'm definitely interested. I did find a pic of a '57 Ambulance mounting bracket... please let me knoiw if you have anything similar. With mirrors or without, makes no difference to me!

Comment

So, here's the latest! Just heard from Unity, they say I need Spotlight # 225P-U-I and brackets #127 & 127RH.
                  225-U-I SERIES SPOTLIGHT.jpg
                  Anyone have the brackets kicking around???

Comment

Don't take this as gospel, but from my looking around at swap meets and the internet the spotlights that were squared off with a built in mirror were very popular in 58 and 59, but don't seem to show up much on other years. 57 and prior all seemed to have the familiar cone-shaped spotlight only, like you have pictured, and after '60 they seemed to mostly go back to that configuration.

Again, this may not be 100 percent accurate, but I believe Ford used a spotlight with a square mirror in 58 and 59, and I think GM used a similar spot with a built in round mirror. It's possible that I have that backwards, and it is possible that both manufacturers used both types of mirrors. Ambulance builders may have sourced their own version of the spotlights directly from the spotlight manufacturer as well. There were spotlights available on passenger cars directly from the car manufacturer, and they often carried the maunufacturers (Ford, Chevrolet, GM, GMC) logo on them.

As for the spotlights themselves, it is virtually impossible to find them these days with GOOD factory chrome on them. If you were to find a NOS one that has never been used, you can expect to pay up to $1000 for it. The chrome plating on them was poor and did not last long (this is the built-in mirror models I am talking about). I have seen rechromed/rebuilt ones at swap meets in the past going for as little as $275-$300, but the last swap meet I was at someone had a complete but badly pitted one for $400, so those days may be over.

The one Dwayne has might be a good starting point, but you will still have to disassemble it and get the parts rechromed. I have also seen a third type of "mirror-spotlight" that is basically a standard cone-shaped spotlight with a round mirror screwed into the back of it on the tip of the cone. This was also a Unity-made spotlight, and although they are more common than the shrouded mirror models they can still be pricy.

Comment

So, after a year and a half of searching, I have a pair of Unity H2-C Spotlights with mirrors on the back, and one 127L bracket. Still need a 127R...KGrHqFrYE88g6VBoBPfu4niJYw60_1.JPG

Please keep me in mind if you hear of / stumble across one. I would even purchase a whole spot just for this bracket!

Comment

Working...
                      X