Federal model 28 siren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal model 28 siren

Well I started working on my “amblewagon” between raindrops. I’m rebuilding the carburetor and a few other things, but I have a few siren questions. I pulled the siren to check it over. When in the car when I pulled the switch I hear the solenoid engage, but there is no movement in the siren. I know it worked when I bought the car. Hooking up a battery charger to it and it will spin, but it is only a fraction of the speed. Is there a step-up transformer or something I’m missing? The alternating signals on the bumper work on the siren switch. The rotator on the roof is on a separate switch. I know it is the last thing I need to figure out, but it’s all I can afford now. [Basically free]

No, there's no transformer to power your siren. It runs on 12 volts DC from the battery, probably through an auxillary solenoid. The battery charger showed it worked (but not well) because the amps are nothing compared to a fully charged battery. If your battery is fully charged but the solenoid won't allow it to operate, bridge across with a screwdriver like we used to on old starters to see if the problem is the solenoid.

Sirens pull a lot of amps, so be careful what gauge wire you use if you get into any re-wiring!

Comment

Working...
    X