backing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing up

The other day I had a minor incident while backing out of a parking space. I was applying the brakes on a slow reverse movement, when I felt my rear bumper "kiss" the car behind me. I made a very small dent in the side molding strip of the other vehicle, and the owner went ballistic.
    My question is, has anyone considered putting an after market backup device (camera, or sensors), and if so which would be better served?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

it's good really to keep a local backup as well as a backup offsite, either to the cloud or to another computer at an alternate location

Comment

Ryan, I'm not speaking of a computer backup. wink,wink, nudge, nudge

Comment

in all seriousness, i think it's a good idea. i backed into a low retaining wall once and put a crack in one of the rear bumper filler panels. that generated an expensive trip to the body shop.

i haven't done anything like this to mine, but maybe i should.

Comment

I was actually thinking of installing one and hard-wiring it to the ignition, thereby negating the need for a rearview altogether. A couple of questions arose, though. 1 is where would I(you) mount it? and 2 most of the systems are wireless, I.E., there's the camera, THEN a sending unit, a receiver, and the monitor. Is that too much of an amperage draw for a stock alternator? 3 and finally, where would I(you) mount the monitor where it's visible to me(you), and someone won't see the monitor, think it's cool and break in and steal it?

Comment

There are a number of units out there in the under 100$ range. They are wireless, plug into the cigar lighter (or can be hardwired), and the camera has a license plate bracket attachment. The monitor sits on the dash like a GPS or can be attached to the visor. Take a look at Amazon for some examples.

R/
            Jon

Comment

its pricey but i like the display on this one. thanks to the curtains on my back window the rear view mirror is pretty much pointless anyways http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1400&bih=823#

Comment

I have a backup camera that is mounted to the license plate. You don't notice it, unless you are looking for it. I got it from Walmart for less than $100. The monitor plugs in the lighter. There are three at Advance. My advice would be get the biggest monitor you can. If it saves you from backing into something or someone, it's worth it.

Comment

I am looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Hitch-SH...6360342&sr=1-1

on Amazon. It's a little spendy. The SH01 model has really great reviews, but the unit only holds a charge for 4 hours. This one (SH02) has all good reviews, just not as many. It has a 10 hour charge. The camera uses either suction cups or a magnetic mount. There is no wiring needed at all.

The advantages for me are:

I can move it around to 4 different vehicles.
                  I can use it to hook up trailers by myself.
                  I can use it for a security camera when I'm on the road.

One disadvantage, right off the bat, is that it doesn't come with an A/C charger, just a 12 volt cigar lighter plug. But that is an easy fix.

Now I just have to sneak the purchase in when my wife isn't looking.

DocV

Comment

One on front license plate, one on rear, and one in each front fenderwell, facing rearward so he doesn't drive over another Honda!
                    Change camera by a touch of a button on the dash-mounted screen

Comment

I have several on Alexi, one that monitors my blind spot, one that over looks the door and a front monitor that records traffic.

Also...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Are they hard-wired? And do you have multiple screens or one?

Comment

Working...
                        X