Old school auto swamp cooler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school auto swamp cooler question

Up until recently I never had any clue what these were!

In case the image doesn't appear, I am talking about the old school coolers that hang off the window and are long tubes filled with water that work as a cooler for the car.

I'm not huge into the idea of a cooling system that only works in motion, nor paying $200+ for one on Ebay so I am thinking of making one myself and was hoping for some answers to the following questions for anyone who has experience with them -

1. Has anyone ever seen an electric one?
    2. How do they operate? A regular swamp cooler has a small pump that pumps the water over a large filter and a turbine that forces the air through. Is this similar or a different design?
    3. How do they keep the water from splashing out when you turn a corner, interior baffling on the tank?
    4. How well do these work?

Any and all answers are appreciated! -Zachary

it's (kinda) been discussed on this thread-http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums...ur-hearse-cool-but they're getting harder and harder to find. You might as well be looking for drive-in speakers!

Comment

More than anything I am looking to make my own and improve upon the method!

Comment

Comment

Technology has not come very far on this type of thing.

Comment

If you're looking to make your own, I'd assume it's along the same lines as a carpet blower. Maybe start there, @ least for the housing and fan motor.

Comment

http://www.instructables.com/pages/s...ir+conditioner

Comment

Originally posted by Good for nothing View Post
                it's (kinda) been discussed on this thread-http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums...ur-hearse-cool-but they're getting harder and harder to find. You might as well be looking for drive-in speakers!
                I know were theres at least 125 of those speakers if your in need of them. Sitting in an old warehouse that the drive in guy owns LOL

Comment

Lol I'd take one, but it wouldn't look right on an '81.

Comment

The trouble with an evaporator like that is, it doesn't work in humid climates. When I visited a friend in Az. a few years back , it blew my mind what a "cool" idea they were. I'd never seen one though, because the humidity is so high up here in summer, they'd be worthless.

Comment

Yeah, luckily Colorado is pretty dry so I'd be able to use it here. Although, it's for Alexi so I am not limited by practicality!

Comment

Working...
                      X