No announcement yet.

Are all funeral home owners like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all funeral home owners like this?

So, I got a tip about a hearse or 3 from a friend I used to work with at an old funeral home near here.

He told me the funeral home was shut down, and he also told me that he thought the guy had a 59 (he said he had one with big fins with lights in them). So I rode by there one day, and saw 2 70s caddilacs sitting in overgrown grass, one with the vinyl coming off, and some surface rust, and another overgrown in grass across from it in similar shape. I did not see any sign of a 59, but there was a garage attached with locked doors that my friend claimed it might be in. The funeral home had been in operation since the the early 50s, so it was entirely possible.

anyway, I found out they were still in business, but wondered about the 2 cars sitting outside rusting away. I found their website and emailed the owner. I basically told him that I saw the cars sitting outside, and if they weren't using them or whatever, that I'd be glad to take them off his hands so they don't sit and rust. I told him I was interested in hearses, and thought they were beautiful cars.

He replies with.

"I understand, but personally I don't like these cars being used for any other purpose than what they were intended for, its a pet peeve of mine but thanks for asking"

So basically, he'd rather let them sit there and rust than allow someone to give them some TLC and get them back on the road. Are funeral directors usually like this?

Joe, Our club president of Las Rydes runs 3 or 4 funeral homes in Illinois. The guy I got the latest car from(the 69) is a mortician and his wife is a funeral director. They own a cool 74 with flame throwers. My dad laughs at me when i talk about the rat rod build. He would rather see a restored car or no car. You could always open a funeral home just for road kill???

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Lavender View Post
      "I understand, but personally I don't like these cars being used for any other purpose than what they were intended for, its a pet peeve of mine but thanks for asking"
      There are many who feel that way. That's why those directors that do restore the cars are usually members of the PCS rather than NHAA. But the majority, or the majority I've met anyway, just view the cars as a tool of the industry and don't really care what happens to them after service.

Comment

That's why it helps to have a funeral director or two as a friend. Especially one that's into hearses. They can call them and try and get them.
        I have been to a car show where I had two funeral directors come and talk to me and tell me where a couple of older hearses were, stay at funeral homes.

Comment

Evidently yes...getting my 69 was quite a fiasco. It was sent to the crusher as the funeral director said, "that car is never to be used for pleasure." But i am a smooth talkin kinda cat and managed it from the yard owner. But right here in town, at a local home there's a 87-89(?) Lincoln town car hearse sitting. I kept telling my girl, as soon as I see some one out there I'm gonna stop. I had my hearse sitting out front where I work and the funeral director of said local home came in and asked who owned the hearse. He asked me if I was restoring it. I said I was indeed and he offered me his Lincoln for a price I couldn't refuse. So as soon as funds are right I will be taking delivery

Comment

It's like any buisness. Some view it in level headed human terms, others more like their sacred identity. There is a perception among some that people in the funeral business are some sort of ghoulish wierdos perhaps. As a result, they often have to work harder than the next buisnessman for public image purposes. The cars strongly represent their business and many seem to feel a hearse used for any other purpose mocks and trivializes their work.

Comment

The best thing is befriend a funeral director and have him call and talk to him. Some funeral directors especially older ones are honorary about stuff. Im a funeral director myself and see this from time to time with old funeral home owners, but being in the business I can tend to get further in getting them to sell stuff and sometimes not lol.
              Last edited by Undertak8184; 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I am a funeral director and I will be your friend.

Comment

Sweet...we got an "in"! lol

Comment

Eyewitness hearse reports...all I can say is that based on people's intel that I have gotten over the years, there were a surprisingly large number of 1959 hearses made in the 70's apparently.

Well, funeral directors usually fall into 1 of only 2 categories - Real people who understand that they've chosen a career path that is considered unusual and are tolerant of other nontraditional lifestyles. The second category is assholes that are puckered so tight you'd break a diamond drill bit trying to pry them open.

I'd say most funeral directors are decent enough the problem is that the ones that are douchebags are not anywhere close to tolerable and are the types that leave you hating the whole group. You know how Chris Tucker kinda makes you hate all black people even though you KNOW in your heart they're not all like him? Yeah, the small contingent of asshole funeral directors is enough to sour you on the whole bunch.

As for letting things rot, yep...my 1971 Superior sat for sale for over a year on the PCS message boards, no one wanted to buy it because it wasn't a 1959 or some other high fallutin' overpriced shitbox that they'd spend $75,000 to restore into a $20,000 car (seriously, what is that? The people who spend a ton of money restoring an anti-investment?) no one wanted her because she was just a 71 Superior endloader. I came along and bought her for no questions asked at $800. Guess what, the minute I modified her it's fucking Hands Across America on the PCS boards for that poor car and what I'm doing to her! Everyone is getting a veracity of Bug Up Ass Syndrome that really should be reserved for 3rd world genocide and war trials. I mean, seriously, I haven't seen people get that worked up over civil rights violations, but you'd swear this car had feelings the way they went on and on about my crimes against it.

Never mind the fact that none of them could life a finger to BUY the car, they just wanted to bitch like the ineffectual putzes they are when someone did something THEY didn't like to the car. God forbid it doesn't get a 70k resto! The fact is, unlike them, I am out there driving my hearse everywhere I go and appreciating the hell out of it on a daily basis, not letting it rot or sit in some garage collecting dust.

Comment

Amen Zach!!

Comment

This reminds me, at the cruise in at our local Wednesday night ice cream spot, I'm talking to a guy who comes in work all the time. We're chattin and he was like you know what, you crack me up kid. Seem like a good kid, and I'm gonna hook you up since you like these hearses. Evidently his brother in law is the same director that had the lincoln. He failed to mention a 50's cad hearse on another property. I have no details oreven a description but my fingers are crossed it doesn't fall through and is legit. I love shit like this!! Ill keep posted if its true. My minds already racing about a 57 landau...or a 55 limo style....I feel like a giddy school girl haha!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
                          That's why it helps to have a funeral director or two as a friend. Especially one that's into hearses. They can call them and try and get them.
                          I have been to a car show where I had two funeral directors come and talk to me and tell me where a couple of older hearses were, stay at funeral homes.
                          I need to add something to my post. The two funeral directors that talked to me and told me about other hearses were both black. I think black funeral directors are more open minded than white one.

Comment

My theory on the uptight funeral directors is that daddy started the business and they wanted to be something else, but were forced into it for family reasons. (or failed at other careers).

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
                              I need to add something to my post. The two funeral directors that talked to me and told me about other hearses were both black. I think black funeral directors are more open minded than white one.
                              Id say thats a definate. The funeral director im in with to buy his hearses is black. And hes the nicest fella anyone could ask for. Hes all about me restoring hearses and showing them off and having fun with them...and thats wicked cool to me

Comment

Working...
                              X