Thinking about selling my 76 Superior 3-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about selling my 76 Superior 3-way

Thinking about selling my 76 Superior 3-way. Considering that I could do the work myself, is it worthwhile to fix the rust spots and paint it, or is better just to sell it the way it is ? Another option might be to convert it to a pickup truck, which is what I need, but that's a lot of work, and would destroy a classic.

Originally posted by Morella View Post
    Thinking about selling my 76 Superior 3-way. Considering that I could do the work myself, is it worthwhile to fix the rust spots and paint it, or is better just to sell it the way it is ? Another option might be to convert it to a pickup truck, which is what I need, but that's a lot of work, and would destroy a classic.
    I hated to part with my 1973 SS El Camino as I loved that car, but when the opportunity came along to get my coach, I had only room for one project and the the hearse was the lesser of two evils believe it or not. The SS has rust issues too and is in need of tons of cosmetic attention while the hearse needs a $1200 windshield as well as rust to deal with. (In the end, we gave the SS away. Literally.) Don't chop up your Superior what ever you do. If you don't have to act quickly, let the issue stew for a while.

Comment

I'm not going to do anything with it overnight, but I haven't been really excited about doing the body work, or finishing the interior, and it mostly sits in the back yard. I take it out every now and then, either to carry something that won't fit in a car, or just to show people how weird I am. I'm tired of people shooting at it with pellet guns, and I don't really need it, and I need a pickup truck to pull my boat, so I'm thinking of selling it.

If anyone has a pre-1974 pickup truck, with air conditioning (doesn't have to work, just has to be there), in Arizona, I would consider a trade.

Comment

Were I in your position and needed to be rid of the car to purchase a truck, I would not consider putting any significant money and effort into it before selling. At most I'd consider knocking any rust scale off of exterior panels and coating with some paint so as to keep it from spreading but I wouldn't repair holes and what not at all. These items are unlikely to deter a collector and fixing them is unlikely to increase the resale value the amount it would cost to do the work.

I'd consider selling it for scrap value to put towards the purchase of an actual truck before trying to convert it to a very peculiar El Camino.

Comment

I'm not going to do anything with it overnight, but I haven't been really excited about doing the body work, or finishing the interior, and it mostly sits in the back yard. I take it out every now and then, either to carry something that won't fit in a car, or just to show people how weird I am. I'm tired of people shooting at it with pellet guns, and I don't really need it, and I need a pickup truck to pull my boat, so I'm thinking of selling it.

If anyone has a pre-1974 pickup truck, with air conditioning (doesn't have to work, just has to be there), in Arizona, I would consider a trade.
          Well, hell! Had I know that a couple of months ago, I may have offered to trade straight across- your hearse for my El Camino. I have done pretty much everything with mine that would normally be done with a truck. It just lacked ground clearance. We used to to tow our boat when we had it. Runs great, has AC, get decent milage considering it had a 396 BB under the hood, and it always passes emissions.

I can keep an eye out for you. Are you looking for anything in particular? If I see anything here in Phx, I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
            I'd consider selling it for scrap value to put towards the purchase of an actual truck before trying to convert it to a very peculiar El Camino.
            If you do end up selling it for scrap, let me know. I hope you don't have to go that route though.

Comment

i know we aren't in AZ, but we have a local girl who has been dying to trade her truck for a hearse. check it out and let her know if you are interested. she'd prolly deliver the truck to you and pick up the hearse.

http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums...uck-for-hearse!

Comment

Looks like a nice truck. The 1998 model isn't to fucked up under the hood so it would be easy to work on.

Comment

Unfortunately, the truck has a 6-cyl., and it probably wouldn't pull the boat that we have up into the mountains. We had a '92 with a 350 TBI in it, and it slowed to a crawl when going up the big hills. An older big block, or a newer small block, V8 would probably be what we need. It needs to be a full-sized truck too, or even a flatbed, so that we can haul building materials.

No way will I sell the hearse for scrap. It's mechanically solid and ready to drive away, as long as it isn't raining. I unplugged the wipers because they keep coming on by themselves.

Comment

I can keep an eye out for you. Are you looking for anything in particular? If I see anything here in Phx, I will let you know.
                    We want a pre-1974, because they are going to be exempt from emissions testing soon. Kind of sucks for me and my 76 cars, but that's life. It has to have A/C, whether it works or not, and we prefer a four-speed shift. The only newer truck that I would consider would be one of those Dodge Cummins pickups, with a 5-speed, and the price would have to be right.

Comment

We want a pre-1974, because they are going to be exempt from emissions testing soon.
                      Where can I find info on that? I'm in AZ also.

Comment

Damn, it only has to be 25 years old to be exempt here, so anything 1986 or older is good to go.

Comment

We don't have emissions testing here. Thank the lawd. But after a car is 40 years old it doesn't have to get a yearly 'brake tag' ...so named cuz about all they do is check to make sure your brake lights, headlights, blinkers, and horn work.

Comment

Should have clarified it better, in the county we live in we have no emission inspection, but in most of the Atlanta Ga area they do have like I posted. And we have no brake inspection.
                            So basically if a car is 25+ years old and you can get a tag and insurance you are good to go.
                            Last edited by LMS; 10-05-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

as long as it isn't raining. I unplugged the wipers because they keep coming on by themselves.
                              Rain-X. I swear by that shit. You have to apply that shit frequently but you can totally run wiper less.

Comment

Working...
                              X