Limo Info? 1957

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limo Info? 1957

Looking for any information that one of you may have about limo production numbers/tags. I'm submitting a pic of a tag off of a parts car that I just got in and any info on it would be greatly appreciated.Would hate to totally part it out if I didn't have to. The Limo is complete and I just got it to run last night after being off the road since 1966...I purchased it for spare parts to hermit away for my sideloader.

Notice the almighty universal caddy tools on the fender.
    Attached Files

Haha! If you can't fix it with a hammer, WD40, kerosene, and a battery charger...f*!k it lol.

Wish I could give ya some info, but that's outta my league. I can say that's the first 57 limo I've seen. I'm sure not to many were made, even less still around. It appears somewhat solid. Its certainly beautiful. Hate to see her parted out, but that 3 way you got is amazing and def could use some of the parts. Good luck on your hunt for info!

Comment

Heya Smooth...thanks man...I'm sure there is someone out there who knows something Lol! Yeah...the thing was corroded under the distributor plate...am thinking is why it was parked...very hard to diagnose if you don't have any mech skills. I'm kinda wanting to keep them both now Haha! A proprietary blend of Type F tranny fluid,kerosene,and diesel "And the hammer for intimidation" straight down the carb and a 45 minute wait got the job done!

Comment

That fender looks good! How's the driver's fender and hood compare? Looks like a decent clip for Superior transplanting.

Is this limo a divider car? If not, part without remorse!

Comment

So I gather that a 57 limo WITH a divider would be rarer than one without?

Comment

Don't know about rarer but more desired, yes. Generally speaking, late '40s-early '60s divider (formal) limos are worth 40-50% more; mid-'60s and up 25% +/-.

Comment

Wow well that's good to know. I've been scoping a 60 formal limo here near me. It indeed has a divider. Pro cars are still new to me, so I love gathering info like this.

Comment

Both fenders are very solid...doglegs need some work "typical" but very little...hood is toast but that is very common on 55-58 models. They need ribbing support placed in the middle to prevent that cursed bowing. A trick that I have found that works is to remove the support ribbing from the bottom of a dead hood "Usually ALWAYS good for some reason" and simply cut to fit/slide to the center and carefully tack in. There is one on Ebay right now that was done just like that and selling for $499.00. You'd be surprised at how much this helps maintain rigidity. And it maintains a stock look as well without being very obvious.Limo had a manual divider in it which has been eaten up long ago,some traces of it left but that is about all.

Comment

'54-'55 hood hinges have a high mortality rate as well. One of the worst designed parts on that vintage Caddy (along with driver's side flipper). '56 hood is the same externally but hinge was completely redesigned and survive in good numbers. Of course '56 hinge is not easily interchangeable with '54-'55...

Glad to hear fenders are solid.

Comment

Old guy I recently bought a set of '57 Caddy hubcaps from had a '57 limo that was in the Outsiders movie filmed in Tulsa years ago.
                    Unfortunatly, I could only afford the hubcaps!

Comment

So a limo, with the divider glass, is considered a formal limo? My 1975 Fleetwood limo has this feature, mine is power operated from the rear seating area,along with a door lock in the pass side back door, seperate AM/FM radio controls in the rear, jump seats that fold into foot rests ,and heater/AC unit in the trunk. Guess I have a rare one too

Comment

Yup...you've got yourself a dandy one there...totally worth any and all TLC.

Comment

Working...
                        X